Lamb Loin Chops Over Minty Pistachio Butter
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
You’re likely familiar with lamb chops, but did you know there’s more than one kind? Unlike rib chops, which are small and come with the long rib bone attached, loin chops are slightly larger with more meat. (They look like mini T-bone steaks.) Try them yourself with this recipe for lamb loin chops over minty pistachio butter, from Christine Flynne’s new cookbook, A Generous Meal.
“The pistachio butter used in this recipe is not exactly a sauce,” she explains, “but more of a creamy, nutty landing pad for the lamb. It is so good you will want to make extra and schmear it on flatbread, plunk roasted fish in it or dollop it onto charred vegetables.”
We’re adding this one to our Easter dinner menu ASAP.
1 cup pistachios
2 tablespoons pistachio oil (we like La Tourangelle)
1 tablespoon white miso
Zest and juice of 2 limes
Handful of fresh mint
½ cup ice water
8 to 9 bone-in lamb loin chops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as grapeseed or canola
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
½ cup fresh mint, chopped or torn
2 tablespoons pistachios, toasted and chopped
Pink peppercorns, crushed
1. Make the Pistachio Butter: Place the pistachios, oil, miso, lime zest and juice and mint in a high-speed blender. Pulse to combine. With the blender running on high speed, slowly add the ice water. Purée until smooth. Store the pistachio butter in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Cook the Lamb: Line a plate with paper towels. Season the lamb all over with salt and pepper.
3. In a large skillet over high heat, heat the oil until it just shimmers. Working in batches, sear the chops until they develop a dark brown crust, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to the prepared plate.
4. Once all the chops have been seared, turn off the heat. Tip out the oil and discard. Return the chops to the skillet. Add the vinegar and toss the chops to coat.
5. To serve: Dollop the pistachio butter in the center of a large plate. Using a spoon, push the pistachio butter from the center of the plate to the edges, making a landing pad for the lamb. Arrange the lamb on the pistachio butter and squeeze the lime juice overtop. Garnish with the mint, pistachios and crushed peppercorns. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.