- On Saturday, Buckingham Palace released an unprecedented statement on behalf of Queen Elizabeth in regards to the future of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. In the statement, she not only wished the couple well, but she seemed to indicate that the matter (of them resigning as royals) was now thoroughly resolved.
- Prince Harry took a moment to shed light on his and Meghan Markle’s decision to step back from their roles as senior royals over the weekend. At a private reception in London for the charity he founded with Prince Seeiso in 2006, Sentebale, the Duke of Sussex set the record straight and explained that he had “no other option.”
- After some dramatic family meetings and high profile events across the pond, Prince Harry officially touched down and reunited with Meghan Markle and baby Archie back in Canada on Monday night. He looked comfortable (and casual) in a beanie and puffer jacket.
Royal News Roundup: Queen Elizabeth’s Big Statement, Prince Harry’s Return to Canada & More
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of January 23, 2020.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge held a reception at Buckingham Palace Monday on behalf of Queen Elizabeth to mark the U.K.-Africa Investment Summit, taking place in London. During the event, the couple welcomed heads of state and government, their spouses or partners, delegate members of the U.K. government and U.K. and African business figures.
- Last year, it was revealed that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry didn't want to announce the names of their first-born child's godparents, hoping to maintain some semblance of privacy, away from the press. However, over the weekend, The Sunday Times reported that Archie’s godparents are Tiggy Pettifer, Mark Dyer and Charlie van Straubenzee.
- On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace announced Sophie, Countess of Wessex’s tour of Sierra Leone at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office from Wednesday, January 22, to Thursday January, 23. (Yep, yesterday and today). During her time there, the countess attended a host of events in Freetown, Sierra Leone, that centered on “addressing sexual and gender-based violence, supporting survivors, and championing women’s role in peacebuilding.”
GEOFF CADDICK/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
- On Wednesday, Kate Middleton touched down in Cardiff and attended a baby sensory class at the Ely and Caerau Children’s Centre. While there, the royal chatted with parents and performed her now-famous parenting move while playing with the kids.
- The official SussexRoyal Instagram revealed Wednesday that Meghan Markle privately visited her furry friends at The Mayhew—an animal charity dedicated to improving the lives of cats and dogs around the world—a few weeks ago.
- Yesterday, Prince Charles, 71, attended the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, and raised a few alarming questions when he took the stage and delivered a fiery speech. While discussing climate change, the Prince of Wales encouraged the audience to think about how their actions will impact future generations.
- Now that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are breaking from their duties, one of their top aides, Natalie Campbell, has secured a job as the CEO of Belu, a U.K.-based bottled water company, and will no longer work for the royal family. “I have been an admirer from afar for the last ten years; leading Belu into the next ten—continuing purposeful growth and changing lives as a result—is a privilege and an honor,” she said in a statement, according to Hello! magazine.
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Where We'll See Them Next:
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles will embark on a tour of Israel and Poland from January 23 to January 27.
Sophie, Countess of Wessex, will visit the University of Surrey, Stag Hill, Guildford on January 29.
More Stories You'll Love
Here’s How Princess Eugenie’s New Baby Will Affect the British Line of Succession
Kate Middleton Strikes Again with Her New Go-to Color
Prince Harry’s Daughter Lilibet Turns 2—But Buckingham Palace Declines to Post Social Media Tribute
Princess Eugenie Welcomes Second Baby and Shares Name (and First Pic!) on Instagram
Is Meghan Markle Reviving ‘The Tig?’ Signs Point to Yes (and Any Corresponding IG Posts Could Be Quite Lucrative)
Bruce Willis Enjoys Splash Mountain Ride with Daughter Mabel in New Video