- On Monday, Queen Elizabeth made a candid statement about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s departure after holding a critical meeting at Sandringham Estate. “My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family,” she said. “Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”
- Following Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to step back from their senior roles as members of the royal family, fans have eagerly looked for ways to show their support. Fans have been buying copies of Markle’s charity cookbook, Together: Our Community Cookbook ($12 on Amazon), like hotcakes since news of her departure broke.
- In a new video from the London premiere of The Lion King, Prince Harry can be seen having a brief conversation with Disney CEO Bob Iger about the possibility of lining up some future work for his wife. Does this mean he’s Meghan's new agent?
Royal News Roundup: Queen Elizabeth Speaks Out About Harry & Meghan and Kate Middleton Talks Baby #4
Here, all the royal news you need to know for the week of January 16, 2020.
- On Tuesday, it was revealed that Meghan Markle did not take part in the Sandringham summit to discuss her and Prince Harry's future roles. The duchess, who is currently in Canada with the couple’s son Archie, had been expected to call into the meeting with the queen and other members. However, the Sussexes decided it was not necessary for her to join the discussion, according to CNN.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is sharing what he really thinks about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s potential move to North America. The Canadian politician, 48, recently sat down for an interview with BBC’s Global News, where he discussed Prince Harry and Markle’s decision to step down.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton stepped out for their first joint engagement of the year. The duke and duchess spent some time in Bradford on Wednesday. Their itinerary included a visit to City Hall in Bradford’s Centenary Square, stopping by one of the city's Khidmat Centres, joining a session at the charity Better Start Bradford and attending a workshop run by Near Neighbours.
- On Tuesday, Meghan Markle paid a visit to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre in Vancouver, where she discussed “issues affecting women in the community.” The community center, which provides support and basic necessities to over 500 women and children daily, posted a photo from the duchess’s visit on their official Facebook page.
- On Thursday, Prince Harry made his first public appearance since stepping down as a senior royal to host the Rugby League World Cup 2021 Live Draw from Buckingham Palace. It was announced via the official Twitter account of the royal family, @royalfamily, along with a live video stream of the draw. The duke has been Patron of the Rugby Football League since 2016, when he succeeded the queen herself in the role.
- Kate Middleton revealed that she and Prince William don’t have any plans to try for baby #4. During a visit to Yorkshire to meet with community groups at the Khidmat Centre in Bradford, Middleton revealed that the odds of expanding her royal clan (which already includes Prince George, 6, Princess Charlotte, 4, and Prince Louis, 1) are slim.
- Prince Harry also revealed that the 2022 Invictus Games will be held in Düsseldorf, Germany. Founded by the duke himself, the games are an international sports competition that brings together wounded or sick servicemen and women with the purpose of supporting rehabilitation and recovery.
Want to know more about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s big announcement?
- What’s the hidden message in the queen’s statement on Meghan & Harry?
- Wait, who are the ‘senior’ members of the royal family referred to in Meghan & Harry’s resignation?
- Did the queen just agree to let Harry & Meghan move to Canada?
- Here’s the hidden message in the royal family’s latest Prince Harry announcement
Where We'll See Them Next:
Prince William and Middleton will host a reception at Buckingham Palace in honor of the U.K.-Africa Investment Summit on Monday, January 20.
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles will embark on a tour of Israel and Poland from January 23 to January 27.