Mattress shopping can be a long and exhausting process. Since they’re an expensive investment piece for your home that makes a huge difference in the quality of your sleep, you want to make sure you’re getting a durable, supportive mattress that, ideally, won’t cost a fortune. So that’s exactly the criteria we used when we rounded up the 10 best mattresses under $500 for you, so you can spend less time researching, more time relaxing.
Looking for the Best Mattress Under $500? We Found the Top 10 You Should Consider
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
The Best Mattresses Under $500 At a Glance
- Best Mattress Overall: Nectar The Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Mattress Under $200: Wayfair Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Foam Mattress: Nod by Tuft & Needle Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress: Olee Sleep Galaxy Hybrid Mattress
- Best Innerspring Mattress: Brooklyn Bedding Innerspring Mattress
- Best Plush Mattress: Signature Design by Ashley Chime Hybrid Mattress
- Best Firm Mattress: Allswell 'The Brick' Mattress
- Best Cooling Mattress: Classic Brands Cool Gel 2.0 Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Mattress for Couples: Novilla Bliss Mattress
- Most Versatile Mattress: Zinus Green Tea Luxe Mattress
What to Look for in a Mattress Under $500
Believe it or not, you don’t need to shop in person to find a fantastic mattress these days, but you do need to know what you want in a bed. Here are some important details to consider before you shop:
- What’s the return policy? You want to make sure there's a trial period (most are at least a month) so if you don’t like the bed after a few weeks of use, you can return or exchange it.
- Is there a warranty? Learn what options you have if your mattress were to rip, fall apart or get damaged, so you know if there’s an accident (from the manufacturer or yourself) you have the option to get a replacement.
- What’s the foam density: firm, plush, medium? At this point you probably know what kind of density you like, so keep that in mind while you shop. Most online retailers offer an in-depth explanation of the bed's foam and hybrid layers. And if you have an injury that requires specified support, consult your doctor to decide what level or support will be ideal for you.
- Is it cooling? If you’re a hot sleeper, look for a mattress with cooling gel memory foam or chilling technology as one of its features.
- How many five-star reviews does it have? Do the reviews align with your needs? Look for keywords like "firm" and "supportive" in the reviews to see if they align with what you're looking for in a mattress.
Once you have your list of non-negotiables, the best way to find a mattress within your budget is by checking out affordable brands—including Nectar, Amazon, Wayfair, Tuft and Needle and Allswell—and filter the results by your desired price range.
How We Chose the Best Mattresses Under $500
After researching the top-reviewed mattresses on the web, we vetted them based on the price for a twin (i.e., under $500), type of sleep support, which materials they used and the warranty/return policy—even if the mattress is sold and fulfilled through Wayfair or Amazon.
Best Mattress Overall
- Mattress Type: memory foam
- Best For: side sleepers and those with back pain
- Return Policy: all of Nectar's mattresses come with a 365-day trial period and offer free in-home returns that are processed within 24 hours.
In a PureWow100 review (where this mattress was awarded 93 points out of 100), former editor Kara Cuzzone writes, “After a few nights of sleeping on the soft, yet supportive layers of memory foam, I was impressed. My middle back pain was gone, and I noticed that I fell asleep in a few minutes flat instead of tossing and turning. In other words, this side sleeper was content.” So, what makes this guy so special? The mattress features five foam layers that, according to Cuzzone, “relieve common pressure points for a difference that I can actually feel when I lay down after a long day.” Plus, on top of providing ample support, the foam layers were designed to reduce motion transfer and keep light sleepers snoozing.
Commerce editor Olivia Dubyak also adds: “I hurt my back last year and still get flare ups. When I lie on this mattress at night, it’s like sweet relief for my lower back. The bed a well-balanced, firm-but-plush density and contours to my body to relieve pressure. It’s a game-changer, she raves. You can choose between a full memory foam or hybrid construction and add features like extra cooling technology, matching bedding and more. Plus, it’s compatible with most bases.”
Best Mattress Under $200
- Mattress Type: memory foam
- Best For: couples and light sleepers
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress is sold and fulfilled by Wayfair, so it includes a 5-year limited warranty, depending on its condition. You can also return it any time during its 100-night trial for a full refund—or you can exchange it for a more expensive mattress (but you’ll need to pay the difference in price).
With a 4.7 out of 5-star rating and more than 50,000 reviews, it’s hard to ignore this best-selling memory foam number from Wayfair. First and foremost: The mattress’s 8 inches of body-conforming memory foam offers a medium-firm feel that relieves pressure points while still providing support. Plus, it also includes a ventilated foam that’s designed to optimize airflow, thereby creating a cooling effect.
The real kicker, however, is how it features a responsive suspension that isolates and reduces motion transfer between you and your sleep partner (aka good for couples): “We love how you can't feel the other person moving; you could put a glass of water on one side and jump on the bed without the glass falling over! The best part?! My husband stopped snoring,” writes one reviewer. That said, if you have a platform bed, make sure your slat spacing falls under four inches, so this thinner mattress won’t bunch up.
Best Foam Mattress
- Mattress Type: polyfoam
- Best For: combination and side sleepers
- Return Policy and Warranty: backed by Tuft & Needle, this mattress includes a 10-year limited warranty and a 100-night sleep trial (which is sold and fulfilled by Amazon).
Available exclusively at Amazon, Tuft and Needle’s latest introduction retains the brand’s signature, luxurious feel (at a price point you can actually afford). The Nod features an innovative polyurethane foam that provides all the benefits of outdated materials—like latex and memory foam—without the drawbacks of sinking in or sleeping hot. What’s more, the mattress also includes two plush layers of open-cell foam (found in T&N’s Original Mattress) to maximize breathability and pressure relief. The first layer is cushy while the underlying layer is more supportive, delivering a true medium feel (i.e., best for combination sleepers).
“I have had this mattress for a year and a half now and [I] have never had another mattress I’ve liked better…it’s as good as new and still feels and looks the same,” one reviewer raves. “Both my husband and I love it. It’s a medium firmness in my opinion; my husband likes a soft bed and I like a firm bed—this was a happy medium. When you lay down it has a little give, but not too much. I have horrible back problems and I sleep so much better on this mattress.” They also add: “Even when I was pregnant and had hormonal sweating, this did not make me hot. I’m a very [hot sleeper], so it’s very important to me that my mattress doesn’t add to that problem!”
Best Hybrid Mattress
- Mattress Type: hybrid (foam + coils)
- Best For: plus-sized sleepers and those with back pain
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress includes a 10-year limited warranty and can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 100 days of delivery.
This hybrid has racked up a 4.5-star rating with 21,200-plus reviews for its multi-layered construction—which was designed with durability and support in mind. While the upper 5.5 inches is divided into three layers—including gel foam, memory foam and polyfoam—the bottom is made up of 7.5-inch innerspring coils (which give it a springy, supportive feel). Plus, it’s also topped with a knit cover with ventilation fabric, so it’s just as cooling as it is pressure relieving.
People also love its pain- and pressure-relieving qualities (like this reviewer, who’s still loving her mattress after a year): “My first and most important priority was something that would alleviate my lower back problems. I have longstanding back issues and I needed something that would help with the stiffness in my back and hips… I [now] wake up with no back issues whatsoever, no numbness, nothing! It hugs my hips in a way that is supportive but not too firm [or] plush…If I had to rate its firmness, I'd say it is between a medium and firm; a true medium-firm.”
To that end, it gets bonus points for its durability and support: “I was having back pain and not sleeping through the night with my old mattress and that went away within the first few nights [of sleeping on this mattress],” another reviewer adds. “I'm also 5-foot-11 and weigh over 200 pounds, and this [medium-firm] mattress doesn't sink in after laying on it.”
Best Innerspring Mattress
- Mattress Type: innerspring with pillow top
- Best For: side sleepers and those looking for a plush feel
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress isn’t protected under a warranty, but it’s sold and fulfilled by Wayfair, so you can return it any time during its 100-night trial for a full refund. Just note that if you exchange it for a more expensive mattress, you’ll need to pay the difference in price
If you’re looking for a traditional innerspring mattress with a plush, upgraded feel—this guy is it. Brooklyn Bedding’s 13-inch model pairs an innerspring construction with a dreamy pillow top for a design that's both supportive and sinkable at the same time. The pocket coil base is perfect for those who need a little extra help getting in and out of bed while the 3-inch pillow top adds a layer of comfort. Not to mention that the pillowtop also includes an ample foam construction (so the only time you’ll feel those 8-inch coils is if you’re jumping on the bed).
It’s also great for side sleepers and those with shoulder/neck pain: “I was expecting something plusher [at first], but after a couple nights of sleeping on it, the pillowtop really is wonderfully soft and the bed is overall very supportive for my bad shoulder as a side sleeper…Not a single squeak from the mattress either—and I toss and turn a lot before falling asleep,” writes one reviewer.
That said, it’s also worth noting another reviewer’s warning: “These mattresses come airtight and compressed and need at LEAST 48 hours to FULLY expand! I let it expand for a little over two full days before I slept on it, and I could see that it was still rising daily.”
Best Plush Mattress
- Mattress Type: hybrid (gel memory foam and individually wrapped coils)
- Best For: side- and stomach-sleepers and those who are looking for pressure relief
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress is not protected under a warranty but can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 100 days of delivery.
Speaking of ultra-plush mattresses, if you’re looking for softness that won’t sacrifice your wallet, this guy starts at $230—and it’s racked up a 4.5 out of 5-star rating with over 23,000 reviews for its cushy feel. The 12-inch hybrid features top layers of adaptive gel memory foam that contours to your body (while letting you sink into a cloud-like feel). Then, it also includes a stretch-knit cover that allows for better breathability—and it’s constructed with rows of power-packed wrapped coils help reduce motion transfer (i.e., another great option for couples).
The cherry on top? It’s great for those who are looking for pressure relief: “It feels like I am floating on a cloud,” writes one reviewer. “No pain or numbness just peaceful sleep.” Another reviewer on Ashley Furniture's website also adds: “Before I bought this mattress I slept poorly woke up frequently and would wake up achy. Since purchasing this mattress, I have had a good night’s sleep every night. No aches and pains upon waking. Good posture support during sleep!” Not to mention that it’s also a great choice for side- and stomach-sleepers: “Perfect for all sleepers in my opinion. I sleep on my side and stomach [and] I don't wake up with my arms asleep or aches and pains. Plush yet firm,” another person writes.
Best Firm Mattress
- Mattress Type: hybrid (copper gel-infused memory foam and individually wrapped coils)
- Best For: those who suffer from lower back pain or need medium-firm support
- Return Policy and Warranty: Allswell offers a 100-night trial (limited to one per household per year) in case The Brick is too firm.
In a PureWow100 review where this mattress was awarded 92-points out of 100, vice president of editorial, Candace Davison writes: “The Brick isn’t rock solid; customers rated it a 5.5 to 7.5 on its 10-point firmness scale, putting it about a point higher than its other models. I’d have to agree—you sink into it a bit, but not so much that you feel like the mattress is swallowing you whole.” Mainly, this has to do with the Brick’s four-layer construction: “Under its firm top layer, there’s one inch of copper gel-infused memory foam, designed to transfer heat, so you don’t wake up sweaty. Under that is two inches of high-density foam for support, and just under that is a set of individually wrapped coils, giving the mattress its springiness. But the coils’ best feature, hands down, is that they minimize motion transfer, so if your partner gets up in the middle of the night, there isn’t a ripple that jolts you awake,” Davison explains. “Those coils also provide solid edge support, so if you sit on the corner of your bed to put on your shoes every day, you’re less likely to deal with a soft, squished edge a year from now.”
It’s also worth mentioning that it’s the perfect medium-firm feel for those who suffer from lower back pain: “Allswell’s ‘firm-ish’ mattress may be the secret to better sleep. While doctors used to recommend very firm mattresses in the past, a 268-person survey found that people with lower back pain had the poorest sleep on very hard beds…Similarly, soft mattresses can cause you to ‘sink in so deeply that your joints twist and become painful during the night.’ (per the study). That medium-firm to firm level can be just right for providing support without being stiff; perhaps a better name for The Brick would be The Goldilocks.”
Best Cooling Mattress
- Mattress Type: gel-infused memory foam
- Best For: combination sleepers and people who wake up drenched in sweat
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress is backed with a 10-year limited warranty and can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 100 days of delivery
If you’re a hot sleeper, we’d be remiss if we didn’t put you on Classic Brands’ Cool Gel Mattress. What makes this guy unique is its gel memory foam layer at the top, which offers temperature regulation you can feel at the surface. It also includes two extra layers of high-density, ventilated foam that offers maximum plushness with a sinkable feel. The memory foam not only conforms to your body and regulates heat with a porous, open-cell design, but the stretch knit cover also helps to wick away moisture while increasing breathability and circulation.
Take it from this editor, who’s been sleeping on the mattress for two years now. While the gel-infused foam offers maximum ventilation (aka sweat-free nights), its high-density foam layer conforms to your body and relieves pressure points. Not only did it have the plush, sink-into-me effect I was looking for, but it does exactly what it says: Keeps me cool all night long. That said, it’s also worth mentioning that this mattress might be prone to sinking over time (and I’ve flipped it twice now). However, for the price—coupled with the fact that it comes with two cooling pillows—I personally don’t mind the extra legwork.
Best Mattress for Couples
- Mattress Type: memory foam
- Best For: side sleepers and light sleepers who are easily awoken by noise or motion
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress includes a 10-year limited warranty and a 100-night sleep trial (which is sold and fulfilled by Amazon).
Here, the perfect choice for couples who toss and turn (or side sleepers who need extra softness). One of the most significant features of the Novilla’s Bliss mattress is its unprecedented motion isolation, where it’s fit with five layers of thick foam for a shock-absorbing and contouring effect (aka great for light sleepers who are easily disturbed by noise). Plus, with gel-infused memory foam and airflow comfort layers, it delivers more cushioning and huggable support than ever, relieving undue pressure on the shoulders or hips. Not to mention that the cooling gel and bamboo rayon cover works overtime to regulate temperature and keep hot sleepers cool.
It’s also a great option for side sleepers who are looking for pressure relief: “It’s been six months and I can honestly say this solved all my side pains. I found relief almost overnight [and after] months, the pain went completely away. The top layer is soft and welcoming but it’s firm enough right below. When I wrap arms with my partner, I never feel like the mattress is in the way, and when we cuddle the bed supports us both without dipping too much. It [also] sleeps fairly cool as I’m a hot sleeper,” one reviewer writes.
Another person also adds: “I am a light sleeper, and I don't even notice when my 4-year-old gets in and out of the bed or my husband getting in or out when I am sleeping. It is literally the perfect firmness.”
Most Versatile Mattress
- Mattress Type: green tea-infused memory foam
- Best For: combination sleepers and those who sleep hot
- Return Policy and Warranty: mattress is backed with a 10-year limited warranty and can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 100 days of delivery.
ICYMI, the latest cooling mattresses are being infused with a layer green tea to help dissipate heat and “keep your bed smelling and feeling fresh, night after night,” per the brand. Yet, aside from this cooling feature (and the elimination of odors, which can get trapped in memory foam over time), this mattress is a top-pick for anyone with a unique sleeping style—from stomach sleepers who roll all over the place to side sleepers who dig their hip into the mattress. It includes 12 inches of thick, layered of memory foam, which are designed to individually conform to your sleep style and provide adaptive support where you need it most.
“I'm usually a side sleeper and I used to wake up a lot throughout the night because of pain in the back and neck with my old bed. With this Zinus mattress, my sleep quality improved so much. I wake up refreshed and back pain relieved! I love it that it's firm to support my body but also soft to make me comfortable,” writes one reviewer.
Plus, another person backs up all of its cooling claims: “I sleep hot and have had zero issues since buying this [mattress last year]. I live in an old family house, no central air, humid & hot South and STILL haven't sweat in this bed! So it legitimately sleeps cool. My fiancé and I like a pretty firm mattress...I'm a stomach sleeper and he weighs 235 pounds, and it's held up perfectly for both of us.”
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.