Mattress shopping can be a long and exhausting process. Since they’re an expensive investment piece for your home that makes a huge difference in the quality of your sleep, you want to make sure you’re getting a durable, supportive mattress that, ideally, won’t cost a fortune.
Looking for the Best Mattress Under $500? We Found the Top 6 You Should Consider￼￼
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
How to Find the Best Mattress Under $500
Believe it or not, you don’t need to shop in person to find a fantastic mattress these days, but you do need to know what you want in a bed. Here are some important details to consider before you shop:
- What’s the return policy? You want to make sure there's a trial period (most are at least a month) so if you don’t like the bed after a few weeks of use, you can return or exchange it.
- Is there a warranty? Learn what options you have if your mattress were to rip, fall apart or get damaged, so you know if there’s an accident (from the manufacturer or yourself) you have the option to get a new one.
- What’s the foam density: firm, plush, medium? At this point you probably know what kind of density you like, so keep that in mind while you shop. Most online retailers offer an in- depth explanation of the bed's foam and hybrid layers. And if you have an injury that requires specified support, consult your doctor to decide what level or support will be ideal for you.
- Is it cooling? If you’re a hot sleeper, look for a mattress with cooling gel memory foam or chilling technology as one of its features.
- How many five-star reviews does it have? Do the reviews align with your needs? Look for keywords like "firm" and "supportive" in the reviews to see if they align with what you're looking for in a mattress.
Once you have your list of non-negotiables, the best way to find a mattress within your budget is by checking out affordable brands like Nectar, Amazon, Wayfair, Sealy, Siena and Allswell and filter the results by your desired price range.
In fact, we’ll do you one better. We’ve rounded up the six best mattresses under $500 for you ahead.
Best Mattresses Under $500 at a Glance:
- Best Overall: Nectar The Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Plush Mattress: Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Mattress Under $200: Wayfair Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Cooling Mattress: Sealy Cocoon Chill Mattress
- Most Versatile Mattress: Siena Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress: Allswell The Allswell Mattress
Why We Love It: Cooling technology, 365-night trial, lifetime warranty
Commerce editor Olivia Dubyak says her Nectar mattress is incredibly comfortable. “I hurt my back last year and still get flare ups. When I lie on this mattress at night, it’s like sweet relief for my lower back. The bed a well-balanced, firm-but-plush density and contours to my body to relieve pressure. It’s a game-changer, she raves. You can choose between a full memory foam or hybrid construction and add features like extra cooling technology, matching bedding and more. Plus, it’s compatible with most bases.
Best Plush Mattress
Why We Love It: Green tea infused, plush density, 10-year warranty
The fact that this bed starts at under $260 may make you second guess its quality but let the nearly 100,400 five-star reviews explain why it’s an amazing choice. “I am falling asleep faster, staying asleep and waking up feeling more rested. I have slept on both sides, and even in the middle of the mattress and [get] equal comfort anywhere. I normally have three dogs hogging the bed and what's really nice is I barely notice if they get up and move to a new spot, even if it's right next to me,” says one customer, who’s been sleeping on her mattress for more than three months. It has three layers of dense foam, one of which is a three-inch pressure relieving construction to ensure your body stays aligned and comfortable while you sleep.
Best Mattress Under $200
Why We Love It: Low motion transfer, 10-year warranty, breathable
Like the Zinus, this mattress has a green tea infusion. Not only is this a calming feature, but it also helps eliminate and deter odors, which can get trapped in memory foam over time. The foam is ventilated to optimize airflow, thereby creating a cooling effect. It’s eight inches thick, so the brand recommends checking to see that your slat spacing falls under four inches if you have a platform bed.
Best Cooling Mattress
Cocoon By Sealy
Why We Love It: 100-night trial, cooling cover, 10-year warranty
If you’re a hot sleeper, this mattress has a cooling cover that absorbs body heat and disperses it to help regulate your temperature while you sleep. Plus, if you want extra cooling, you can add on the extra-chill technology for $300. Select a foam or hybrid construction; either way, the mattress is pressure relieving and contours to your body for lasting comfort throughout the night.
Most Versatile Mattress
Why We Love It: Can be used on all bases, 180-night trial, layered foam
Talk about versatility. This mattress can be used on box springs, platforms, adjustable bases, traditional frames and divan bases. It has five layers of memory foam, including the top layer, which is cooling and breathable; the remaining layers support pressure relief, body contouring and low motion transfer. Overall, it has a medium density that tips a little further to the firm side, and the edge support ensures the edges don’t roll up or dip over time.
Best Hybrid Mattress
Why We Love It: 100-night trial, charcoal and copper gel infused memory foam, 10-year warranty
The unique charcoal and copper gel infused top layer is made to absorb and direct heat away from the body to cool you down while you rest. The bed is made for all kinds of sleepers: side, back, tummy or all of the above. The pocketed coils in the hybrid construction allow for reduced motion transfer and body contouring, all of which explains the more than 2,600 five-star ratings. “[It’s] so comfortable I could sleep all weekend! I love that the box had wheels and made it easy to transport and unload. [It’s] very supportive, sleeps cool and [has] anti-microbial copper to maintain the freshness,” says one customer.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.