20 Daily Habits to Start Adopting Right Now
Today's a good day to have a good day
Welp, it’s official: The season of summer Fridays and slacking off is over. Farewell, lazy weekends lounging by the pool. Fall is the time to get serious and sharpen your daily skills (and we’re not just talking pumpkin-carving skills). Here are 20 daily habits to put into practice right this second.
1. Wake up without hitting the snooze button. Try putting your alarm clock across the room so that once it goes off, you’re really up.
2. On that note, make sure you’re getting enough sleep to begin with. Need help? Here are seven easy ways to get more z’s.
3. Raise the shades and get a little direct sunlight as soon as you wake up. It will set your internal clock and keep you on track for the rest of the day.
4. Save time in the morning by making breakfast the night before. Overnight oats, anyone?
5. Same goes for picking out your outfit. Planning a few weekday uniforms at the beginning of the week is a huge time-saver.
6. Drink a gallon of water a day. (Or at least try your best.) The benefits are totally worth a trip to the bathroom every hour.
7. Meditate once a day to clear your mind. It can be for as little as three minutes or as long as one hour. You decide.
8. Set one intention and stick to it. Whether it’s walking to work or volunteering to help your community, you’ll be surprised how quickly a new task becomes part of your routine.
9. Take a walk around the block in the afternoon for a boost of energy and fresh air.
10. Quit noshing on office candy and opt for something with more substance. Prepare the perfect desk-side snack by combining The Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss Garlic & Herb Cheese with juicy grapes and crackers. This crunchy treat will allow you to slip into a moment of pure bliss…until the next email hits your in-box.
11. Show gratitude. Did someone hold the door open for you? Don’t rush past them. Instead, stop, smile and say thank you.
12.While you’re at it, compliment at least one person every single day. It’ll make both of you feel good.
13. Stay up to date on current events. It never hurts to be in the know.
14. Track your daily spending habits. Do you really need that blueberry scone from the coffee shop?
15. Try meal planning. It might be a weekly task, but the daily payoff (i.e., not resorting to takeout) is well worth it.
16. Do one thing each day that you genuinely enjoy. Read a book. Start a new TV show. Listen to a podcast. Whatever makes you happy, just do it.
17. Build yourself up by giving yourself a pep talk. Or try a mantra, like “Beyoncé wasn’t built in a day.”
19. Adopt a skin-care ritual and stick with it. Prepare for the night by removing all of your makeup (yep, it’s time to stop skipping this step) and then apply your favorite products to keep your skin in tip-top shape.
20. Before the day ends, jot down at least one thing that you’re proud of. Hey, you finished reading this list, so you’ve already accomplished one wonderful thing today.