The Coziest Winter Getaways Within 5 Hours of Los Angeles
Whether you’re a black-diamond skier or just snowman-curious, there is a snow-driven weekend getaway a few hours outside Los Angeles for you. From cozy cabins to resort rooms, you have your choice of snuggly interiors and fireplaces galore. Because let’s face it: Woman cannot live by beach selfie alone. Here are our picks, including the approximate travel time from L.A.
1. Multilevel Retreat in Lake Arrowhead (2 hours, 15 minutes)
Knotty pine and a pro decorating job create an idyllic place to unwind after exploring the snowy forest vistas outside. With five bedrooms and seven beds, there’s plenty of room for up to 16 people to snuggle.
2. Bohemian Luxe A-Frame at Big Bear Lake (1 hour, 45 minutes)
The classic A-frame, done up in a super-cool eclectic style (it was featured in Dwell, natch). It’s on a private 8,800-square-foot plot of land, making it perfect for a secluded romantic getaway.
3. Sleek Minimalist Home in Lake Arrowhead (90 minutes)
These hosts had us at the bright two-story living room window, facing west for optimal sunset views by the fire. If that’s not enough, this four-bedroom house has its own shiplap-paneled billiards room.
5. The Club at Big Bear Village, Big Bear Lake (1 hour, 45 minutes)
You want hotel-type amenities (concierge, fitness center, Wi-Fi) but with that homey, Big Bear feel. Done and done.
6. Historic Creekside Cabin in Idyllwild-Pine Cove (2 hours)
This snug little one-bedroom cabin (circa 1922) is decorated as if a Jazz Age artist uses it for their getaway, with its cubist art, hooked rug and vintage record player. All the charm, with a short walk to a lovely running brook.
7. Altis Luxury Home at Mammoth Mountain (5 hours)
You’re staying in one of the most stylish homes on the mountain, waking up to gaze at the ski-in, ski-out slopes from your floor-to-ceiling windows. Remind us again why we have to get out of bed?
8. Edelweiss Log Cabin in Idyllwild-Palm Cove (2 hours, 10 minutes)
Exposed beams and a romantic fireplace to stretch out in front of on the Oriental carpet: This log cabin lets you live out your Daniel Boone dreams, except, you know, luxe.
9. Snowflower Cabin in Village Bay, Lake Arrowhead (2 hours, 25 minutes)
A two-story wall of glass greets you when you come downstairs to make coffee in the granite-and-stainless kitchen. Like home, but with room to sleep eight. Oh, and also, there’s snow.
10. Fireside Lodge at Big Bear (1 hour, 45 minutes)
We are so into this fireside Jacuzzi tub…and that bottle of wine after hitting the nearby slopes.