With summer around the corner, it’s time to plan a trip. And what better time to make memories with the kids than when they’re out of school? These 12 getaways—which we’re deeming the best family resorts in Texas, hands down—are sure to delight kids of all ages and their parents. Seriously—whether you’re into chillin’ by the beach in a luxury resort or hanging out by an amazing pool while dad golfs, we’ve got you covered and we’re here to prove a resort can, in fact, be family friendly. Yep, maybe the best of both worlds does exist after all.
These Are the 12 Best Family Resorts In Texas
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
- Getting there: 14 miles from downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, close to Dallas
- Rates: Tower Room starting at $425/night
Who says you must drive far to feel like you’ve gotten out of town? Dallasites like to think of the Four Seasons Resort and Club Dallas at Las Colinas as that faithful friend who will never let them down. Bringing the kids? Even better. Camp Four Seasons offers an opportunity for you to hit the spa and relax while the kids have a ball. From movies under the stars to water slides and even golf and tennis, the kids are not forgotten here.
- Getting there: 23 miles from downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, dining, family-friendly, close to Dallas
- Rates: Standard Guest Room starting at $371/night
This property’s holiday season programming is top notch, but don’t let that distract you from considering a summertime visit. The resort’s Paradise Springs Water Park and its 10-acre outdoor pool and lazy river complex features a 6,000-square-foot family lagoon. There is also 600-foot-long lazy river and four waterslides. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, hit up one of Gaylord’s eight eateries, with options to please even the pickiest palates.
- Getting there: 3 hours (215 miles) from downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, customer service
- Rates: Standard room starting at $323/night
Known for its lovely customer service experience, this accommodating Hill Country resort makes every member of the family feel at home, always. Its picturesque setting along the Colorado River provides guests with 405 acres of Texas landscape for horseback riding, archery, fishing and more. The resort’s Crooked River Water Park is also a big hit, featuring a 1,000-foot lazy river, a two-story water slide, an activity pool, sandy beach and a splash pad. What more could one want out of a family-friendly getaway?
- Getting there: 3 hours, 58 minutes (268 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, food
- Rates: Standard rooms starting at $329/night
There’s something about the Oak-covered hills of the Texas Hill Country that just make you feel at home. We love that this resort has amenities galore, such as a 1,100-foot lazy river and a spa, but it’s also located close to a lot of crowd-pleasers like Seaworld, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and The Shops at La Cantera. This is perfect for the family who wants to relax between roller coaster rides and shopping trips.
- Getting there: 5 hours, 16 minutes (330 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, food, unique, luxury
- Rates: Standard cabin room starts at $399/night (two night minimum)
Love the exclusivity of a true Texas ranch but have yet to secure the goods for a personal vacation property? Consider the laid-back luxury of this truly special Sonora property. The 13,000-acre stunner has a main lodge and smaller, cozier cabins for rent and is a great option for those who want a curated ranch experience. From horseback riding to off roading on UTVs, the activities are endless. Relax by the pool and then enjoy a spa treatment while dad takes the kids skeet and trap shooting. The food is also incredible, as you’ll learn from Wednesday night pizza, the Thursday butcher block, fajita Friday and Saturday bar-b-que. This seemingly, middle-of-no-where intimate property makes it seem as is you really do have a ranch to call home. And what do they always say…fake it till you make it?
- Getting there: 4 hours and 24 minutes (282 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family friendly, spa
- Rates: Standard Rooms starting at $360/night
The fact that our vote for the most serene spa in Texas also happens to have a kid-friendly aspect really speaks to how well it manages both worlds. There are separate pools for kids and adults, both clean and top of the line. We recommend booking over the 4th of July holiday and getting a front row view of the amazing fireworks that launch from Six Flags Fiesta Texas. They are magical, and the kids will remember them for years to come.
- Getting there: 3 hours 21 minutes (209 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: waterfront, family friendly, outdoor activities
- Rates: Standard rooms starting at $220/night
Lake Travis is a sight to be seen, and what better way to experience a gorgeous Texas Hill Country sunset than with a cocktail in hand, hanging with the family? We like that the property has both an adults-only and a kid’s pool in addition to a waterslide. There is a gym, spa and even a handful of options to get out on the water, whether you’re more of a coasting-on-a-sailboat type or a Jet-ski-racing adrenaline junkie.
- Getting there: 3 hours and 15 minutes (208 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: new, outdoor activities, family friendly
- Rates: Suites start at $259/night
It’s OK to admit it: we like things that are shiny and new, and there’s something to be said about visiting a resort when it is fresh off a grand opening. The amenities, the property and everything about it just shines a little brighter. And while this property is a couple of years old now, it still has that new resort feel. When you first scope out the space, your kids will be drawn to the pool and endless amenities, but the top selling point, in our minds, is the option to rent a lakefront cottage. Because anyone who has traveled with kids knows that a little privacy—especially after dealing with post-swim-and-ice-cream meltdowns—can go a long way in helping you truly enjoy a vacation.
- Getting there: 2 hours, 2 minutes (106 miles) from downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family friendly, food
- Rates: Call to inquire
Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam…. OK, you might not see a buffalo, but this place gives you the nostalgic vibes of a good ol’ fashioned weekend at camp. A luxury camp, of course. There is a lot included in this vacation, including access to fishing boats, s’mores, fossil hunting, tomahawk throwing, live music and ziplining. The only real choice you’ll have to make is whether you want to stay in the main lodge or rent a ranch cabin/home. The food is also incredibly good, which isn’t always the case at camp out-inspired getaways. Think Texas quail, pheasant ravioli, warm apple blackberry tarts and more. Those “adventurous family” types have found their dream destination.
- Getting there: 4 hours, 27 minutes (293 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, beach
- Rates: Standard rooms starting at $189/night
When we think family-friendly vacation ideas, we immediately think of the beach. And while Texas isn’t exactly known for its beautiful white sandy beaches (hi, Florida), this luxury option has been keeping those in the Lonestar State in a beachy state of mind for decades. We recommend renting a private cabana at The Cove pool, which comes complete with lounge chairs, a personal mini fridge, flat screen TV, as well as snacks and Champagne. That way babies can nap, dads can watch the big game and you can cool down in the shade as needed.
- Getting there: 30 miles from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family-friendly, golf
- Rates: Standard rooms starting at $209/night
Another solid option for a weekend away that isn’t too far from Dallas, this resort is tucked away in a residential area of North Texas. It almost feels like you are checking in to a country club for the weekend. In addition to an 18-hole Fazio golf course, the rooms and the Well & Being Spa are recently renovated, and the pool provides hours of entertainment to help beat the Texas heat.
- Getting there: 3 hours, 23 minutes (213 miles) from Downtown Dallas
- Why we recommend it: outdoor activities, family friendly
- Rates: Standard rooms from $267/night
Have a reason to be in the Houston area and want to make a vacation out of it? Located just 30 minutes outside of the hustle and bustle of downtown, you’ll find this Woodlands playground of sorts, which features the Forest Oasis: Lazy River & Waterpark. Created for kids and adults alike, this attraction has a 30-foot tower with a double-helix waterslide and a 1,005-foot lazy river that weaves in and out of the trees. Other fun activities for the entire family include an arcade, goat yoga, biking, kayaking and pickleball. Yes, we said goat yoga. Don’t miss it.