Julia Turshen's Skillet Cornbread with Cheddar and Scallions
Sweet and Spicy Cornbread
Photo: Nico Schinco/Styling: Erin McDowell
Do you prefer sweet or savory…or both? Lucky for you, this incredible cornbread checks both boxes.
“This cornbread combines sweetness with a hefty kick of spice from fresh Fresno chilis,” explains recipe developer Erin McDowell. “If you can’t find Fresnos, jalapeños will work—slice the peppers thin so you get a little bit of heat in every bite.”
For bonus points, drizzle each slice with extra honey.
12 tablespoons (170g) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the skillet
¼ cup (50g) vegetable oil
½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
⅓ cup (104g) honey
2 large (113g) eggs, at room temperature
3 cups (362g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (156g) yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
1 cup (228g) whole milk
⅓ cup (77g) sour cream
2 Fresno chiles (or jalapeños), seeded and thinly sliced into rings
2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons (39g) honey, plus more for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 12-inch skillet with softened butter.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, oil and sugar together on medium speed.
3. With the mixer running, gradually add the honey in a slow, steady stream, and mix well to combine. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping well after each addition. Continue mixing until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cayenne and salt to combine. Add the flour mixture to the mixer and mix until well incorporated. Add the milk and sour cream, and mix until the batter is smooth, about 2 minutes more.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and spread into an even layer. Top the surface of the batter with the chilis. Bake until the edge appears crisp and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter and honey well to combine. Remove the cornbread from the oven and brush all over with the honey butter. Return the cornbread to the oven until the surface is golden, about 3 minutes.
7. Let cool at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with additional honey, for drizzling, if desired.