Slow-Cooker Stuffed Shells
Is there anything better than pasta filled with cheese? How about a dish that also cooks itself? Enter this recipe for slow-cooker spinach and ricotta stuffed shells. Just throw all the ingredients into the Crock-Pot and go on with your day, knowing you'll return to a fully cooked, comforting pasta dinner.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ sweet onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups spinach
1¾ cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
24 jumbo pasta shells
3 cups marinara sauce
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh basil, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley, for serving
1. Grease the inside of a large slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more.
3. Add the spinach in batches, sautéing until it wilts. When all the spinach is added and wilted, transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Let it cool slightly and then mix in the ricotta.
4. Spoon the ricotta mixture into the shells (about 3 tablespoons per shell, but no need to be precise).
5. Pour half of the marinara into the base of the slow cooker. Arrange the shells on top in an even layer. Pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Top each shell with 1 tablespoon of mozzarella and 1 teaspoon of Parmesan.
6. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook until the shells are tender, about 6 hours.
7. To serve, scoop the shells out of the slow cooker onto plates. Serve immediately, garnished with basil and parsley.