Skillet Roast Chicken with Peaches, Tomatoes and Red Onion
It’s gorgeous outside—this calls for dinner under the stars. If you have an hour, you can whip up the most perfect meal to eat alfresco on a warm night: skillet roast chicken with peaches, tomatoes and red onion. And did we mention you'll have only one pan to clean?
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
8 pieces chicken (mixture of thighs and legs)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 peaches, cut into thick wedges
3 tomatoes, cut into thick wedges
2 red onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, diced
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter to the hot pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and then dredge each piece well in flour.
3. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
4. Add the peaches to the pan and sear until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the peaches from pan. Repeat with the tomatoes, and then remove them from the pan.
5. Add the red onions to the pan and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with the wine and then return the chicken to the pan.
6. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the chicken is fully cooked, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the peaches and tomatoes to the pan and cook 3 to 5 minutes more.
7. Garnish with basil and serve immediately.