Skillet Kale and Fontina Fondue
Who said eating your greens couldn’t involve copious amounts of nutty, creamy fontina cheese? This genius appetizer comes together in a skillet, so you’ll be dipping in no time. Pass the croutons, would you?
2 cups torn kale
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1⅓ cups shredded fontina cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bread, crackers and assorted vegetables, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, massage the kale with the extra-virgin olive oil until evenly coated. In a medium skillet, arrange the kale in a single layer and season with kosher salt.
2. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the kale starts to look crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the oven. Add the heavy cream and fontina, then return the skillet to the oven.
4. Bake until the cheese is melted (you may need to stir once to encourage even melting) and any exposed kale is very crisp, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and serve with your choice of bread, crackers and assorted vegetables.