Kale and Cheddar Cheese Galette
Who says pie has to be sweet? This savory kale galette is the perfect side dish, and the whole thing comes together in under an hour. Now you can look forward to eating your greens.
1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust
2 tablespoons water
⅓ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch leeks, thinly sliced
1 large bunch kale, roughly torn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie crust until it is about 10 inches in diameter. (A standard packaged pie crust is 9 inches, so lightly roll it out to flatten it and make it a bit bigger.)
3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the water to combine. Brush the pie crust with the egg wash and then sprinkle the cheddar in an even layer on top. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate, uncovered, while you prepare the filling.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the kale in handfuls and sauté until wilted before adding more. Repeat until all the kale is added and the mixture is very soft. Add salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Take the pie crust out of the refrigerator and pile the kale mixture in the center of the crust, leaving about 1 inch uncovered around the edge.
6. Fold the edge of the dough up and over the kale to encase the filling around the perimeter.
7. Lightly brush the egg wash onto the edge of the crust. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the filling and crust in an even layer.
8. Bake until the crust and cheese are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving.