Mini Strawberry Ice Cream Pies
Have you ever roasted a strawberry? Nope, neither have we. But Erin McDowell, author of The Fearless Baker, says we should, and her recipe for mini strawberry ice-cream pies is proof.
“Roasting your strawberries really concentrates their flavor, and in this easy recipe, you just layer them and put ice cream on top,” McDowell says. “It looks fancy and everyone will think it took a lot of effort, but really, you can just throw this together on a weeknight.” Sounds like a plan.
And if you don’t have mini pie pans (although you should consider getting a few, because they’re adorable), ramekins will work too.
Graham Cracker Crust
15 graham crackers
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of fine sea salt
½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
2 pounds (906g) strawberries, hulled and quartered
⅓ cup (66g) granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
1. Make the Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place four mini pie or tart pans on a baking sheet.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the graham crackers to fine crumbs. Add the cinnamon and salt; pulse to combine. Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
3. Divide the crumb mixture among the prepared mini pans and press into an even layer on the base and up the sides to form a crust. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely.
4. Make the Filling: While the crusts bake, place the strawberries in an even layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the sugar over the strawberries, tossing to combine. Drizzle the vanilla extract over the berries and toss to combine.
5. Transfer to the oven and roast until the berries are tender and the juices have thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
6. Spoon the strawberries into the cooled crusts. When ready to serve, scoop the ice cream on top.