Mashed Potato Fritters with Smoked Salmon and Chives
Try reheating leftover mashed potatoes, and the results are a little meh. But when you mix them up with cheese, shape them into patties and fry them into mashed potato fritters, the results are crispy and glorious. Top them with smoked salmon and chives, and you’ve got a breakfast of champions.
Neutral oil, as needed for frying
3 cups leftover (or store-bought) mashed potatoes
⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
⅓ cup chopped chives
1 large egg
¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces watercress
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
⅓ cup crème fraiche
12 slices smoked salmon
Chopped chives, for serving
1. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese, chives and egg together. Stir in ¼ cup of the flour and season with black pepper.
3. Place the remaining ½ cup flour in a shallow dish. Divide the potato mixture into 12 even portions, and shape into flat rounds about ½-inch thick.
4. Dredge each potato pancake in flour, shaking off the excess. Working in batches, fry the pancakes in the hot oil (you may need to reduce heat to low once the oil gets hot) until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and if desired, season the outside lightly with salt.
6. In a medium bowl, toss the watercress, olive oil, and lemon juice together. Season with flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Serve pancakes with the crème fraiche, smoked salmon, chives and dressed watercress.