Jodi Moreno has serious opinions about pasta. It better be ready fast and it better be really delicious. That’s why this grain-free mushroom, spinach and leek pasta is one of her favorite recipes of all time.
“This is my weeknight go-to pasta dish because it can be ready in under 30 minutes, including prep time, and it’s incredibly flavorful and satisfying,” she told us as she prepared the meal in our New York City test kitchen.
You can use any kind of pasta you like, but a quick tip from the chef: “I am a very big fan of the Cappello’s pasta brand. They make the absolute best-tasting—fresh!—pasta that’s both gluten- and grain-free.” We can back this up 100 percent.
PureWow’s Chef in Residence program invites food influencers and tastemakers from all over the world to create new recipes in our New York City test kitchen.
¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ghee
1 large leek, sliced
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
Large handful spinach
9 ounces Cappello’s grain-free fettuccine
1. Place the pine nuts, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a pile on a cutting board and chop until the mixture reaches a fine texture. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, heat the ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they are tender, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Turn the heat to low while you cook the pasta.
4. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and then use tongs to transfer it from the pasta water to the skillet with the veggies, allowing a good amount of the pasta water to run into the pan in the process. Use the tongs to toss the pasta with the veggies.
5. Transfer the pasta to serving bowls and top with the pine nut crumble.