Fried Chicken BLT with Jalapeño Honey
Presenting the sandwich to end all sandwiches: the fried chicken BLT with jalapeño honey. Blogger Aida Mollenkamp shows us how to build this epic stack that’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
For more tips, tricks and recipes from Aida Mollenkamp, check out her website, Salt & Wind, and her exclusive interview on The Coterie.
½ cup honey
1 or 2 jalapeños, sliced, plus more for garnish
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed or peanut) for frying
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup hot sauce
7 large eggs
2 large heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices whole-grain or sourdough bread, lightly toasted
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked
1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted and sliced
1 handful micro greens
1. In a small saucepan, bring the honey to a low boil. Add the jalapeño slices and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Warm before serving.
2. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, fresh basil, sriracha and smoked paprika. Store in the fridge until ready to assemble.
3. Heat the oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot fitted with a thermometer. Do not fill the pot more than halfway with oil. Season the chicken with the salt. Add the flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate. In a medium bowl, beat together the hot sauce and three of the eggs. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, coat well in the flour and then transfer to a plate.
4. Working in batches, place a few pieces of the chicken in the hot oil and fry until it’s brown, crisp and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate, pat dry and then drizzle with the jalapeño honey.
5. Drizzle the tomato slices with just a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, let stand 5 minutes and then drain on paper towels.
6. In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat and fry the remaining 4 eggs until crispy around the edges, about 4 minutes.
7. Build sandwiches using the toasted bread, spicy mayo, bacon, fried chicken, tomatoes, avocado, fried eggs and micro greens.