This Eggplant Pizza Is Low-Carb, Gluten-Free and Ready in Under an Hour
Sometimes you just need to cheat a little. Take pizza night, for instance. Making a pie from scratch can be a total drag, since it takes forever and can kill your efforts to eat healthy in one bite. Instead, make this eggplant pizza recipe. Our cheater's pizza, if you will, is low-carb, gluten-free and takes less than an hour to prepare. Don't worry, plenty of cheese is still involved.
1 large (or 2 medium) eggplants
⅓ cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1¼ cups marinara sauce (store-bought or homemade)
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup torn basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the ends off the eggplant(s) and then cut into ¾-inch-thick slices. Arrange the slices on the prepared baking sheets and brush both sides of each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the eggplant slices until nearly tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Remove the trays from the oven and spread 2 tablespoons marinara sauce on top of each piece. Top generously with mozzarella and arrange 3 to 5 cherry tomato pieces on top of each.
5. Return the pizzas to the oven and roast until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are blistered, 5 to 7 minutes more.
6. Serve the pizzas hot, garnished with basil.