Crispy Cauliflower Tacos
We'll eat cauliflower in any form—whole roasted, on sliders, as a rice substitute. Add to that list these crispy cauliflower tacos. We bake florets to perfection (it's all about the seasoning), drizzle them with queso (homemade, duh) and wrap everything in warm tortillas (we used the flour variety). We have a feeling you're going to like—wait, scratch that—love the final result.
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
Zest of 1 lime
1 lime, cut into segments
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ red onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
One 4-ounce can green chiles
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
12 small tortillas (flour or corn)
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
⅓ cup cilantro leaves
1. Make the Crispy Cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then spray it generously with nonstick spray.
2. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk the eggs well. In another wide, shallow bowl, whisk the flour with the taco seasoning and lime zest to combine.
3. Working in batches, dip the cauliflower into the egg and then into the flour mixture, tossing well to coat. Place the breaded cauliflower onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all of the cauliflower is breaded. Spray the top of the cauliflower with nonstick spray.
4. Bake the cauliflower until it is golden brown and very crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss it occasionally during cooking to even out the browning, if desired.
5. Make the Queso: In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in the green chiles.
6. Add the flour to the pot and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the milk, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. The mixture will thicken; once it has, remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
7. Make the Tacos: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add 2 or 3 tortillas to the pan and heat until lightly browned on each side, 1 minute per side. Repeat until all tortillas are toasted.
8. Squeeze the limes over the crispy cauliflower and toss well. To serve, place 3 tortillas on each plate and fill each with a handful of crispy cauliflower. Garnish with 1 to 2 tablespoons of queso, 1 teaspoon scallion, 2 or 3 jalapeño slices and 2 teaspoons cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.