Confetti Crust Hand Pies
Hi, we’re PureWow, and we’re obsessed with rainbow sprinkles. Stick ’em in petit fours, ice pops and cookies, and suddenly we’re all in on dessert. We’re adding these confetti crust hand pies to the mix—they’re rainbow-ready and surprisingly easy to make, thanks to a store-bought jam filling. We’re all for short-cutting with frozen pie crust, but in this instance, it’s worth it to make your own.
Psst: The recipe is easily doubled to make more pies, and you can swap the raspberry for any flavor of jam you like.
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, cubed
⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles
¼ cup ice water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons raspberry jam
1 large egg, whisked
Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
1. Make the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt to combine. Add the butter cubes and toss to coat, then use your clean fingertips to work the butter into the flour mixture until it’s about the size of peas. Stir in the sprinkles.
2. A tablespoon at a time, add the water to the dry ingredients, using a silicone spatula or your hands to incorporate it. The dough should be moist enough that it clumps together when squeezed with your hands, but not so moist that it’s sticky or tacky—you may not need to use all the water. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
3. To assemble the hand pies: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about ⅛ inch thick. Use a 3- or 4-inch round cookie cutter to cut it into 6 rounds (alternatively, you can cut it into 6 squares).
4. Transfer half the rounds to the baking sheet. Place 1 teaspoon of the raspberry jam in the center of the squares on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of the jam-filled squares with the egg. Top each with a plain crust square; crimp the edges with a fork. Lightly brush the tops of the hand pies with egg, then sprinkle with demerara sugar.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, 18 to 25 minutes. Cool completely before serving.