Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
What’s for lunch? Three words: egg salad sandwich. This version is just the right combo of creamy (oh hi, entire diced avocado) and tangy, thanks to Dijon mustard and capers. Pile it onto whole-grain bread or enjoy it on its own for a tasty keto meal.
8 large eggs
⅓ cup mayonnaise
⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons capers
3 celery stalks, diced
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 avocado, diced
8 slices whole-grain bread
1 large tomato, thickly sliced
4 large leaves Bibb lettuce
1. Place the eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 11 minutes.
2. Drain the eggs from the warm water and then run cold water over them. Let the eggs cool completely. Peel the eggs, then dice and transfer to a medium bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar. Stir in the dill, parsley and basil; season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the mixture over the eggs and then add the capers, celery, green onion and avocado. Toss gently to combine.
5. To build the sandwiches, scoop about a quarter of the egg salad onto one piece of bread. Top with tomato, lettuce and another piece of bread. Repeat to build the remaining sandwiches.