Look, not every cake needs multiple layers and heaps of buttercream frosting. That's the beauty of our angel food cake recipe. It's light and airy and satisfyingly simple. The timing couldn't be better, either, since slices are best served with plenty of fresh berries and whipped cream. Consider it your go-to summer dessert.
1 cup cake flour
¼ teaspoon salt
10 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
Whipped cream, as needed for finishing
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place an angel food cake pan (tube pan) on a baking sheet. Do not grease the cake pan.
2. Make the Cake: Sift the cake flour and salt to combine. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy, 1 minute.
3. Increase the speed to high and continue to whip, adding the sugar gradually in a slow, steady stream. Continue to whip until the egg whites are light and glossy, 4 to 5 minutes. Dip the whip attachment into the egg whites--the mixture should stand straight up and be relatively firm but not clumpy.
4. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the egg whites and fold to combine using a spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread into an even layer. Bake until the cake is evenly golden and fully baked, 40 to 45 minutes.
5. Invert the cake pan onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before unfolding.
6. Prepare the Berries: stir the berries with the lemon juice and sugar to coat. Let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes.
7. Slice the cake and serve each slice with a few tablespoons of berries and whipped cream to taste.