Homemade Cheese Crackers
True story: We cracked open a box of store-bought cheese-flavored crackers and thought, Heck, we could make these from scratch--and make them taste way better. And that's how this homemade cheese crackers recipe came to be. Nosh on the savory squares with your lunch or during a Netflix binge--or even serve them to company (because they're that good).
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
¼ cup cold water, or more as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt, cayenne pepper, cheddar and Parmesan to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the water and mix until the dough forms a ball around the blade. If the dough looks dry, add more water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time.
4. Divide the dough into two pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut into 1-inch squares and transfer to the prepared baking sheets (you can space them close together since they won’t spread as they bake).
5. Using the point of a small knife or the tine of a fork, poke a hole into the center of each cracker. Bake the crackers until golden brown and crisp, 14 to 16 minutes. Cool completely before serving. The finished crackers will keep, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to a week.