- Earlier this week, Kensington Palace released a full statement on behalf of the Prince and Princess of Wales, revealing that Kate Middleton has undergone a previously unannounced abdominal surgery and will be recovering in the hospital for the next few weeks.
- In the statement, Princess Catherine expressed how she wants her three children—Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5—to “maintain as much normality” as possible during this time.
- A day after the statement was released, Prince William was photographed driving from the hospital after visiting his wife while she is currently in recovery.
- Last week, the Prince of Wales met with former rugby players Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield to congratulate them on their continued efforts to raise awareness and funds for Motor Neurone Disease.
- While talking to Burrow, William jokingly referenced the athlete’s recent podcast episode featuring his in-law, Mike Tindall, in which Tindall revealed the future king’s secret nickname: One-Pint Willy.
Royal News Roundup: Kate Middleton’s Hospitalization Update, King Charles’s Striking New Portrait & More
Plus, a photo of Prince William visiting his wife in the hospital
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Here’s all the royal news you need to know for the week of January 18, 2024.
- To kick off the New Year, the Cabinet Office released a never-before-seen portrait of King Charles, which showed the monarch standing in a hallway of Windsor Castle and donning the Royal Navy uniform of an Admiral of the Fleet.
- This week, Buckingham Palace released an official statement regarding King Charles, who has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate.
- In a rare personal message, His Majesty congratulated King Frederik X for ascending the Danish throne following the reign of his mother, Queen Margrethe II (aka Queen Mary), and signed the note with his unique signature: “Charles R.”
- In the first episode of her new podcast series, The Queen’s Reading Room, Queen Camilla revealed that she loves reading the Harry Potter books with her five grandchildren.
- The queen attended the opening of a new “Safe Space” in the Aberdeen Art Gallery, where victims of domestic abuse can seek resources and assistance.
- While on tour in Sri Lanka, Princess Anne and her husband, Sir Tim Laurence, were welcomed to a Hindu Temple called Vajira Pillayar Kovil, and they were joined by the Chief Priest for a special pooja blessing.
- The Duchess of Edinburgh paid a visit to Katherine Low Settlement in Battersea, where the U.K. charity celebrated its 100th anniversary. She wore a pair of suede over-the-knee boots for the event.
Stay up-to-date on every breaking royal family story by subscribing here.
More Stories You'll Love
Prince Harry Committed This Major Faux Pas at Princess Eugenie's Wedding
Um, Ben Affleck Was *This* Close to Getting a Cameo in ‘Barbie’
Prince Harry Says the Prince William ‘Best Man Reports’ Were a ‘Bare-Faced Lie’
Prince Harry Shares Extremely Rare Update About His Two Kids
Wait, This Famous ‘Breaking Bad’ Star Is Related to King Charles?!
Adjoa Andoh Shares What Fans Can Expect from 'Bridgerton' Season 3: 'It's For the Wallflowers'