17 Outdoor Doormats You Need to Greet the Season...and Your Guests
Outdoor doormats are one of those under-appreciated pieces of home décor. People trample all over them without thinking twice, and it’s their actual job to be dirty so that your floors aren’t. But they’re also the first thing guests see when they come to visit and the piece that will greet you each night before you head inside. Since these mats are even more necessary with the new season at hand, when it’s more likely than ever that your new fall boots will be unintentionally trekking in some...souvenirs from all of your outdoor adventures, it makes sense to find one that will add a touch of personality to your home.
A great outdoor door mat will welcome only the things and people you want inside your house, keeping dirt, mud and water outdoors—where it belongs. Here are a few other things to look for when shopping for your perfect pick.
Material: The material of your doormat will not only affect its look, it will have different benefits.
- Coir: Many outdoor doormats are made of coir, which is a natural fiber made of coconut husk. Not only are its thick, coarse bristles naturally water-repellent, it's good for scraping dirt and debris off of shoes. This eco-friendly material is versatile in design, and can be dyed, printed or left plain for a natural look. It’s also naturally UV-resistant, so a good coir rug can reportedly last upwards of 10 years.
- Synthetic fibers: These are popular materials for outdoor doormats due to their durability. Polypropylene, for example, is breathable, water-resistant and stain-resistant. Polypropylene mats are also easy to clean—simply sweep, vacuum, shake, wipe or hose them off.
- Rubber: Rubber is a durable, low-maintenance option that couldn’t be easier to wash, though it tends to have fewer design options. It won't soak up water that lands on it, either, so it tends to stay pretty dry. Beyond that, rubber is über-durable and doesn't move around easily.
- Cotton: While less commonly used for doormats, cotton can actually be super absorbent and handy, as it's largely machine washable. Cotton mats with a mottled appearance can also help to disguise dirt.
Size: Your outdoor mat should cover most of the deck, patio or step leading to your door. It should also be big enough for someone to stand on with both feet, so they’re not doing a hokey pokey dance trying to wipe off their shoes one by one.
Backing: You should look for a doormat that has a rubber or anti-slip backing, so that it stays in place and doesn’t become a tripping hazard.
Ahead are 17 outdoor doormats that will greet the new season—and your guests—all at once.
The Best Outdoor Doormats at a Glance
- Most Colorful Doormat: Anthropologie Floral Greeting Doormat
- Best Hand-Painted Doormat: Nickel Designs Hand-Painted Doormat
- Most Durable Doormat: Gorilla Grip Rubber Door Mat
- Best Large Outdoor Doormat: Buffalo Plaid Welcome Mat
- Best Rubber Doormat: Embossed Leaf Doormat
- Best Overall Outdoor Doormat: Anthropologie Autumn Leaf Doormat
- Best Holiday Doormat: Artoid Hello Pumpkin Doormat
- Best Coir Doormat: Donna Wilson Leaf Collage Doormat
- Best Weatherproof Doormat: Weather Guard Nature Doormat
- Best Non-Slip Mat: mDesign Welcome Mat
- Best Sustainable Doormat: Avera Welcome Coir Fiber Doormat
- Most Versatile Doormat: Juvale Coco Coir Doormat
- Best Cozy Doormat: Elrene Come In and Cozy Up Doormat
- Best Initial Doormat: Autumn Doormat
- Best Personalized Doormat: Weather Guard Bombay Doormat
- Best Funny Doormat: Hello Cat Doormat
- Best Mosaic Doormat: Mohawk Home Ornamental Entryway Doormat
1. Anthropologie Floral Greeting Doormat
Most colorful doormat
This gorgeous pick comes with a bold, bright floral and leaf pattern that will look great any time of year, but is particularly comely for autumn. The coconut fiber design is eco-friendly, though you will want to make sure it’s covered from the sun and elements to keep it looking vibrant for as long as possible.
2. Nickel Designs Hand-Painted Doormat
Best hand-painted doormat
For something a little more special, try this abstract hand-painted fall mat. It’s made with a mold- and mildew-resistant coir surface that will keep rain and slush at bay. More than that, however, it has a special UV coating that will protect its simple-yet-colorful autumnal design. It also has a sturdy vinyl backing.
3. Gorilla Grip Rubber Door Mat
Most durable doormat
With this doormat, you won’t have to worry about how many pairs of feet show up at your front door. It has a woven polypropylene fabric that’s soft on shoes but tough on dirt and water, as well as a rubber border that’s beveled to trap any unwanted water or grime. When it needs a refresh, you can vacuum, rinse or wipe the mat clean with the hose. Better yet, it comes in more than 20 colors/patterns, so you’re sure to find one that suits your porch.
4. Buffalo Plaid Welcome Mat
Best large outdoor doormat
This doormat is cotton with reinforced edges, which makes it extremely moisture-absorbent for wet feet—and simultaneously machine washable. At 23 inches by 51 inches, it’s also bigger than most doormats you’ll find, making it easy to cover the entirely of your outdoor entry space.
5. Embossed Leaf Doormat
Best rubber doormat
You won’t have to worry about how your doormat is faring outdoors with this 100 percent rubber mat, which has an attractive embossed leaf design. When it gets a little grimey, you can easily pick it up and shake it or hose it off when needed.
6. Artoid Hello Pumpkin Doormat
Best holiday doormat
This cheeky “hello pumpkin” design is everything you’ll need to get into the autumnal spirit. Made with a mostly 95 percent rubber construction, it will stay right where you put it while also resisting stains from dirt and debris. Its low-profile will also ensure no one trips coming in or going out.
7. Donna Wilson Coir Leaf Collage Doormat
Best coir doormat
Doormat, or work of art? This leaf collage coconut husk coir doormat from textile artist Donna Wilson is a little bit of both. It’s hand-loomed by artisans in India and can be used both indoors or outside for a quick and homey pop of color. To keep its hues vibrant, however, you’ll want to keep it out of direct sunlight.
8. Weather Guard Nature Doormat
Best weatherproof doormat
When you want something really heavy-duty, you can’t go wrong with a Weather Guard doormat, like this one, which also happens to come in multiple fall hues. It’s made of a super rugged rough and tumble polypropylene and rubber that customers say stands up against the elements, and there’s a skid-resistant backing to keep it from slipping and slipping around outside your door.
9. Anthropologie Autumn Leaf Doormat
Best overall outdoor doormat
If you really want to up the fall ante, this coconut fiber leaf-shaped doormat is for you. Not only is it one of the most unique pieces around, with vivid colors that customers say are downright right beautiful, it’s generously sized to fit under both feet. Note that you may need to add a more sturdy backing to it and keep it in a sheltered area to keep it in primo shape.
10. mDesign Welcome Mat
Best non-slip mat
We all know how important first impressions are, so make sure the one your home makes is a good one with this welcoming coir mat, which is reinforced with a flexible, non-slip backing to keep your visitors free from any mishaps. Its tough bristles, meanwhile, will protect your house from dirt or dust, and you can choose from nine different colors/designs to best suit your aesthetic.
11. Juvale Coco Coir Mat
Most versatile doormat
This eco-friendly coconut coir mat is great for fall...and winter...and spring...you get the idea. With its neutral cross design, UV- and water-resistant fibers and non-slip backing, you can use it in any area of your outdoor space at any given time of year. Customers say it's of a nice quality, too.
12. Elrene Come In and Cozy Up Doormat
Best cozy doormat
This rug may be made of 100 percent coir, but you’d never know it at a glance. The black, white and red plaid pick will make you feel just as warm and cozy as you would throwing on a favorite flannel shirt. It’s thick enough to collect dirt and grime from even the busiest stoops, and it’s weather- and UV-resistant besides.
13. Autumn doormat
Best initial doormat
This charming autumn design has a personal touch with the ability to customize it with one initial and a last name of up to 15 characters. While reviewers say it’s on the thinner side, it can double as a low-pile indoor mat when more wintery weather starts to settle in. It’s also got a nice skid-resistant backing.
14. Weather Guard Bombay Doormat
Best personalized doormat
You can customize this all-weather door mat, which is available in eight jewel tones, with the first letter of your last name. It has an anti-static polypropylene top and a rubber border to trap water and dirt, and it's also mildew- and fade-resistant, so it won't easily be damaged by the sun.
16. Mohawk Home Ornamental Entryway Doormat
Best mosaic doormat
This tasteful doormat is made with recycled rubber and comes in two subtle-yet-classy color patterns that will harmonize with your home’s décor. It also stretches slightly longer than most doormats, giving your porch more coverage without being overpowering and leaving the perfect first impression. Simply spot clean it with water to keep it looking fresh.
17. Avera Welcome Coir Fiber Doormat
Best sustainable doormat
Use this mat to welcome guests to your home, sweet home. Its natural coir is made for indoor/outdoor use and there’s a PVC non-slip backing to keep it in place. While it can handle dirt and grime from your wet shoes, you’ll want to make sure it’s under an awning or covering to keep its multicolored leaves looking their best.