We love the heat when it comes to tropical vacays. But one place we could do without it? Our beds. Indeed, if you’re a sweaty sleeper, you most likely have a hard time falling asleep and frequently wake up during the night. Luckily, this is a problem with a solution: a cooling mattress topper. Made from latex, copper gel or charcoal-infused memory foam, these plush little toppers draw heat away from your body, so you can sleep comfortably. Ahead, find 12 of the best cooling mattress toppers to make those hot summer nights significantly more bearable (along with expert advice on how to choose the right one for your sleep style).
The 12 Best Cooling Mattress Toppers for Sweat-Free Nights
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. All prices are accurate upon date of publish. You can learn more about the affiliate process here.
The Best Cooling Mattress Toppers at a Glance
- Best Overall: Saatva Graphite Mattress Topper
- Under $50: Linenspa Gel-Infused Mattress Topper
- Most Luxurious: Temper-Pedic Adapt + Cooling Topper
- Best Graphite Memory Foam: Allswell Mattress Topper
- Best Copper Gel: Layla Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best Latex: PlushBeds Latex Mattress Topper
- Most Versatile: Casper Comfy Mattress Topper
- Best for Pain Relief: The Molecule AirTEC Topper
- Most Plush: Nelaukoko Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Most Supportive: Bear Pro Mattress Topper
- Most Eco-Friendly: Helix Birch Organic Mattress Topper
- Best Electric: ChiliSleep Ooler Sleep System
Meet the Experts
- Gbolahan Okubadejo, M.D. is a spinal and orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of degenerative spinal disease, spinal deformity, and cervical, lumbar and thoracic conditions.
- Dr. Frank Siraguso is a Kansas City-based chiropractor who specializes in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders.
The Best Types of Cooling Mattress Toppers
In short, finding an effective cooling topper comes down to its materials. According to Dr. Frank Siraguso, a Kansas City-based chiropractor, there are three categories that you should note when it comes to temperature regulation:
- Copper Gel Toppers: Per the doc, copper gel beads can be infused into memory foam toppers to offer a one-of-a-kind sleep experience: “Copper is known for its cooling and cleansing antimicrobial properties, while the benefit of gel beads is heat transfer. When the beads come in contact with each other, they carry heat away quickly and efficiently, leading to a cooler sleep experience.” He also adds: “The beads compress into a firmer shape under pressure, providing extra support to areas like your hips and shoulders. This is crucial for sleepers with back pain, as it reduces the pressure and strain on your spine at night.”
- Graphite Memory Foam Toppers: “Graphite memory foam is ideal for sleepers who run hot, rest on their back and side, or are generally in search of pressure relief,” notes Dr. Siraguso. This is because graphite has small, spherical pores that are experts in absorbing and dissipating heat. The graphite is typically mixed into the foam itself, so when you sink in, its particles are forced to quickly conduct heat and release it through the surface. Plus, the doc also says, “The memory foam element is particularly ideal for side and back sleepers because it conforms to the contours of your body and provides support on pressure points…This will keep you in place and adapt to your position as you sleep.”
- Latex Toppers: “The open-cell pattern of latex allows air into the material and helps with breathability,” Dr. Siraguso explains. This is because latex is constructed with little perforations in its design, so it’ll never trap or hold heat on the surface. Plus, according to the doc, it’s also a top choice for anyone with allergies or sensitive skin, where “natural latex is odor free, hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial, and dust mite resistant.” He also adds: “The sustainably sourced material is also free of chemical dyes, pesticides, bleach, and other fillers that are found in other synthetic materials.”
What to Look for in a Cooling Mattress Topper
- Thickness: While the standard thickness of a mattress topper is between two and eight inches, you want to make sure that your topper will not only keep you cool, but also accommodate your sleeping style. A plush, contoured foam might be best for side sleepers, but a 2021 review suggests that a medium-firm [feel] can help reduce lower back pain. “Pay attention to the thickness of a mattress topper,” cautions spinal and orthopedic surgeon Gbolahan Okubadejo, M.D. “A thicker mattress topper provides more support, especially for heavyweight people, and can help alleviate pressure point pain on the hips and shoulders. The downside to a denser mattress topper is the thicker they are, the hotter they can feel,” he adds.
- Warranty and returns: Unlike mattresses, toppers tend to have less generous warranties and return policies, so if you’re planning on splurging, read the fine print. Most mattress companies usually offer a 30+ day return period, but you’ll want to check that this applies to their toppers, as well. If you’re ordering through Amazon, be sure to read the vendor’s specific policies. It’s also worth seeing if there’s a trial period, so you can return it for a refund if it doesn’t live up to your expectations.
How We Chose The Best Cooling Mattress Toppers
After researching the top-reviewed mattress toppers on the web, we vetted them based on what cooling materials they used, how thick they were and whether they had a 30+day return policy.
The Best Cooling Mattress Toppers of 2023
- Why We Love It: graphite-infused memory foam contours to your body without trapping heat, provides pain and pressure relief, organic cotton cover is moisture-wicking and breathable
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Saatva offers a one-year limited warranty with a 365-night sleep trial. If you're not completely happy with your purchase after 45 days, the company will provide a full (with a $99 processing fee for return pickups).
“Saatva regularly tops out my recommendations for sleep essentials because their bedding features high-quality materials that provide optimal support,” says Dr. Siraguso. “The Saatva lineup features several different materials, but my recommendation is the Graphite model for its durability and cooling properties.” Here’s why: While most memory foam toppers are known to absorb and trap heat, Saatva’s latest model eliminates this problem with its unique graphite construction. Its top layer is composed of memory foam infused with graphite—a material with natural cooling properties—and the moisture-wicking, organic cotton cover keeps the surface cool to the touch.
One reviewer writes: “I have been going through menopause for years now and sleep with a fan on all year round. I toss and turn and wake up several times during the night. After sleeping with this topper, I no longer wake up [in a sweat]. I sleep through the night and notice when I wake up the next day, I don't feel like I am on fire. I still use the fan, but I am much, much cooler.” An added bonus? It also features a 2-inch base layer of high-density polyfoam that prevents sinking while you sleep.
Best Under $50
- Why We Love It: gel beads are infused into the mattress to trap and dissipate heat, cushions pressure points, minimal motion transfer, customizable thickness
- Thickness: 2-3 inch
- Warranty and Return Policy: topper is backed with a 3-year limited warranty and can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 100 days of delivery.
If the affordable price tag of Linenspa’s gel-infused memory foam mattress topper isn’t enough to lure you in, maybe its specs will. This baby delivers two or three inches of plush memory foam with temperature-regulating gel beads that are meant to provide you with a cooler surface to sleep on. The cushioning, meanwhile, is designed to support your pressure points for better spinal alignment. It also minimizes motion transfer, so you won’t wake up every time your partner rolls over.
Take it from one (previously) sweaty sleeper: “I had to by a new mattress topper [because] I started sweating and sort of sticking to the bed out of nowhere. I have never done that before. I ordered this [topper] and now I sleep comfortably. No sweating or stickiness.” That said, they also warn: “Just be careful with liquids. It’s foam and sucks it up and takes a while to dry.”
- Why We Love It: SmartClimate cover adapts and adjusts to your body’s temperature, adaptive foam is designed to minimize heat retention, fabric has a cool-to-touch surface, cover is removable and washable
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Tempur-Pedic toppers have a 10-year warranty with a 90-day trial period, so if you don't love your new mattress, they’ll refund your money after 30 days (shipping charges not included).
If you’re not in the market to drop thousands on Temper-Pedic’s famous Tempur-Breeze mattress, this topper’s “Cooling Technology” upgrade (an additional $80) is the next best thing. It’s formulated with the same cool-to-the-touch SmartClimate cover from the mattress, which adapts and adjusts to your body’s temperature throughout the night. Plus, what makes this topper unique (aside from Tempur-Pedic’s famous, body-conforming foam) is that it was specially designed to minimize heat retention while regulating the climate between the surface and your covers. Oh, and did we mention that the cover is also moisture-wicking, removable and machine-washable?
“This mattress topper is like sleeping on a gosh darned CLOUD,” writes one reviewer. “ I don't move at all throughout the night. My hips and shoulders no longer ache. I don't wake up trying to find a better position…I previously had a memory foam mattress and I would wake up soaked in sweat. Purchased the ‘cooling technology’ upgrade and no longer wake up soaked in sweat. The only downside: I'm so comfortable I don't want to get out of bed in the morning,” writes one reviewer.
Best Graphite Memory Foam
- Why We Love It: graphite quickly releases heat for a cool-to-touch surface, cover is removable and machine washable, memory foam provides a supportive feel that allows you to sink in
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Allswell offers a 100-night trial with a 10-year limited warranty (limited to one per household per year). After 30 days, the brand will provide a full refund within the trial period.
Crafted from premium memory foam that’s infused with graphite, this topper is designed to provide optimal heat dissipation, pressure relief and support for your body. First, you have its innovative graphite infusion that’s designed to wick away heat from your body and prevent heat retention that makes you toss and turn. Beyond that, however, the memory foam conforms to your shape, allowing you to sink in and enjoy a supportive yet cushy feel.
The topper also includes a removable, machine-washable cover that’s hypoallergenic (aka great for those with allergies or sensitive skin): “I have bad chemical allergies and prefer foams with the ‘Centapure rating,’ which means no toxic chemicals… I was very pleased [this topper] had those certifications,” one reviewer writes. Plus, another person raves: “Y’all..this mattress topper will feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud. I have aches and pains from everyday chores and as soon as my body hits the bed now all the pain disappears.”
Best Copper Gel
- Why We Love It: gel beads pull and absorb heat from the surface, copper is antimicrobial and breathable, memory foam molds under compression and offers adaptive support
- Thickness: 2 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Layla offers a five-year warranty with 120-night trial period, where you can return the mattress for a 100 percent refund with no return/shipping fees. (The company requires that you sleep on the mattress for at least 14 days before requesting a return).
According to Dr. Siraguso, “Layla Mattress Toppers are another of my most highly recommended options. More specifically, the Layla copper-gel-infused memory foam mattress topper, which is a standout.” This has to do with its 2-inches of copper-gel infused memory foam, which molds under compression (offering a one-of-a-kind sleeping experience). “The copper gel beads in the Layla mattress topper offer what is called ‘variable support,’ meaning the beads compress into a firmer shape under pressure, providing extra support to areas like your hips and shoulders. This is crucial for sleepers with back pain, as it reduces the pressure and strain on your spine at night,” Dr. Siraguso explains. “Another benefit of the gel beads is heat transfer. When the beads come in contact with each other, they carry heat away quickly and efficiently, leading to a cooler sleep.”
Not to mention that it’s a great option for anyone who suffers from night sweats: “I’m a side sleeper. [and] recently started waking up drenched in sweat with massive amounts of hip pain. This topper is exactly what I needed. [My bed is] MUCH cooler than before and it has made the mattress soft enough that my hips no longer ache in the AM,” writes one reviewer.
- Why We Love It: open-cell design increases airflow without trapping heat, customizable firmness, good for pain-relief, organic and Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and Greenguard-Gold certified, good for those with allergies and sensitive skin
- Thickness: 2-3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: while all PlushBed toppers come with a 5-year warranty, they’re not returnable. That said, you can cancel your order at any time before your latex topper is shipped (usually 2-3 days after you place your order).
Yet another topper Dr. Siraguso says you should have on your radar? This latex number from PlushBeds. “Its open-cell pattern allows air into the material and aids with ventilation, though this makes the material less dense. For that reason, it may be best for hot sleepers who need less firm sleep surfaces.” The doc also adds: “It’s odor-free, hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial, and dust mite resistant, making it a great option for sleepers with allergies. Having earned recognition as an Oeko-Tex Standard 100 and Greenguard-Gold certified topper, the sustainably sourced material is also free of chemical dyes, pesticides, bleach, and other fillers…for that reason alone, the Plushbeds Latex Mattress Topper is a great choice.” It’s also worth mentioning that you can customize the thickness (2-3 inches) and firmness, where you have the choice between a soft, medium-soft, medium, medium-firm or extra-firm feel.
Customizable feel and eco-friendly design aside, reviewers seem to be most impressed by the topper’s pain relief and temperature regulation: “I bought this topper to help relieve shoulder and hip pain as well as night sweats caused my menopause. I absolutely love it! It stays cool all night and has helped with the intensity of the hot flashes. I wake up without shoulder or hip pain. It's the perfect density and provides nice back support while feeling like you are sleeping in a cool cloud,” writes one reviewer.
- Why We Love It: designed with three cooling layers of latex, graphite and memory foam, Airscape technology makes it breathable, supportive yet sinkable feel of memory foam, soft quilt cover
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Casper offers a 5-year limited warranty with a 30-day sleep trial. They’ll also provide a free shipping label for returns (so long as it’s within the trial period)
It’s no secret that Casper is a mecca for top-of-the-line, memory foam mattresses (see our review for proof). But, as it turns out, the brand’s mattress topper is just as innovative. Designed with three cooling layers—latex, graphite and memory foam—this topper uses a proprietary “Airscape technology” to keep air circulating and dissipate heat, so you stay cool all night long. What’s more, it uses a signature base layer of memory foam that prevents sliding and can offer added support (which is a major plus for back sleepers). Basically, it’s everything you’d want in a memory foam Casper mattress—plus, cooling capabilities and a more affordable price tag.
“The latex foams have tiny pores to allow heat to escape. In turn, heat is drawn away from your body and helps regulate your body temperature while you sleep…Despite its density, the mattress doesn’t retain extra heat. After sleeping on it numerous times, I remained comfortably cool throughout the night,” writes one reviewer. They also add: “The Casper topper is a little soft for my liking. It felt like I was lying on a plush, squishy sleep surface with a cradling sensation. I didn’t sink into the mattress topper, but it does contour to my body (much more than my firm mattress does). The latex layers are dense enough to provide a decent amount of support.”
Best for Pain Relief
- Why We Love It: open-cell foam maximizes airflow, cool-to-touch surface, offers pain-relief and joint support, eco-friendly, cover is antimicrobial, removable and machine-washable in cold water
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Molecule offers a 5-year limited warranty with a 30-night risk-free trial. You will be refunded for full the cost of the mattress topper (less any discounts) and they’ll remove it from your home at no extra cost.
Need something to soothe your aches and pains? This topper was awarded a whopping 97 points out of 100 in a PureWow100 review for its responsive foam, which provides the buoyant feel of latex with ample airflow and durability. Executive editor Data Katz writes, “The quilted honeycomb cover is silky and surprisingly cool to the touch. Sure, the brand promises cooling technology, but because I was so focused on the support elements, I didn’t really care about the temperature regulation. But now that I’ve been sleeping on the Molecule for a few weeks, I can confidently tell you it not only really works but is extra nice for those of us who run warm.”
Katz adds: “As for comfort, sleeping on the topper compared to my mattress was like night and day. In fact, I could actually get through the entire night sleeping on my left side...without rotating. This is important because the rotating was inflaming my back even more and causing shooting round ligament pain. And best of all, my anxiety about going to bed and waking up in pain eased as my pain eased.” The cherry on top? The topper’s soft-knit, cool-to-touch cover also happens to be antimicrobial, removable and machine washable.
- Why We Love It: ppen cell ventilation and infused gel beads, ultra-plush memory foam allows you to sink in, good for pain relief, under $100 with customizable thickness options
- Thickness: 2-3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Nelaukoko offers a 3-year limited warranty and can be returned to Amazon in its original condition for a full refund or replacement within 120 days of delivery.
This editor is all too familiar with the feeling of waking up drenched in sweat. After weeks of research, I finally pulled the trigger on this mattress topper because it promised to combine cooling technology with a plush, memory foam feel. My first reaction after one night with this guy? Wow. Presumably, this has something to do with the topper's open-cell structure and infused gel beads, which encourage airflow and dissipate heat. It also eliminates motion transfer and helps regulate your body temperature throughout the night. The dense foam has a ‘sink-into-me’ effect that literally makes it feel like you’re being wrapped in a marshmallow hug.
But don’t just take my word for it—the topper has a 4.5-star rating with over 4,900 reviews. The comments span from, “So cooling and feels like you’re on a CLOUD,” to “have not experienced any sweating that’s typical of memory foam with this topper.” Bottom line: If you’re looking for a cooling topper that doesn’t have that stiff, brick-like feel, I’m with the collective that’s rating this guy 10/10.
- Why We Love It: uses Celliant technology to convert body heat into infrared energy, infused with copper for a cool-to-touch surface, designed to help your body recover from aches and pains
- Thickness: 3 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Bear offers a 3-year limited warranty with a 30-day return window. If you’re not happy with the topper, you can return it within the trial period for a full refund at no extra cost.
Bear’s pressure-relieving 3-inch copper-infused foam pad uses something called “Celliant technology” to convert your body heat into infrared energy and reflect it back at you to trigger oxygenation and vasodilation, or dilation of your blood vessels. In turn, Bear claims this topper can actually help your body recover quicker from aches and pains from a tough workout (per the brand). More importantly, in terms of cooling, the breathable cover is also infused with copper for a cool-to-the-touch surface (with antimicrobial properties).
“I put off a lot of heat, so I like to be cool when I'm sleeping. Fortunately, the Bear Pro Mattress did an outstanding job of dissipating the heat I put off to keep me cool through the night. I can't say that the copper-infused foam did anything here and there are no studies to back up the brand's claims, but I did stay cool throughout my testing. This could've been due to the gel layer or the breathable Celliant cover,” writes one reviewer. They also add: “I like to sleep on my side or stomach. With the firmness level of the Bear Pro – slightly softer than average firmness—I preferred sleeping on my side, which I found to be incredibly comfortable.”
- Why We Love It: made with latex, cotton and moisture-wicking wool, breathable design with increased airflow, Greenguard Gold- and GOTS-certified, free of harmful chemicals and toxins
- Thickness: 2 inches
- Warranty and Return Policy: Helix offers a 100-night trial period with a 10-year limited warranty. If you’re not happy with the topper, the brand will provide a full refund at any time within the trial period.
With a 5-star rating on the Helix site and more than 2,500 reviews, it’s clear this topper is a best seller. Its latex, wool and cotton materials were chosen with high breathability and airflow in mind—and its soft composition offers the perfect amount of contoured plushness. Not only does the latex offer an open-cell design (that won’t trap heat), but it also uses the multi-layer structure of wool, which naturally creates insulation to regulate temperature. Plus, to top it all off, the topper has an organic cotton cover that was designed to absorb and wick away moisture. And of course, its Greenguard Gold and GOTS certifications ensure that its materials are 100 percent organic and free of harmful chemicals.
It’s also a great option for side- and stomach-sleepers: “The organic mattress keeps us cool even when the temperature is hot. It’s a perfect combination of firmness and softness. Has good support for my back. I strongly recommend this bed for people who sleep on their side and on tummy,” writes one reviewer. Plus, another person adds: “I am NOT HOT at night with this topper (I honestly didn't think it was possible)... I used to throw my covers off every night on my other, [twice-the-price], mattress. And now...sometimes I need more covers because the mattress isn't storing all the heat under my body.”
- Why We Love It: regulates body temperature with an electric thermal pad, circulates water between your mattress and fitted sheet, compatible with phone app, adjustable noise levels, machine-washable and dryable
- Thickness: N/A
- Warranty and Return Policy: per ChilliSleep’s website, the topper has a one-year limited warranty with a 30-day trial period. If you’re unhappy with topper, you can return it directly through Amazon for a full refund (within the trial period).
If you’re looking for the crème de la crème of technology-driven cooling toppers, you’ve found it. ChiliSleep’s hydro-powered Ooler mattress pad is the company’s most advanced sleep system with a control unit that allows you to customize the temperature (between 55 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit). It’s designed with a hydro-powered thermal pad that circulates water between your mattress and fitted sheet, and the temperature can easily be controlled by an app on your phone that features scheduling abilities and adjustable noise levels for uninterrupted sleep. Plus, it’s also fit with a machine-washable and dryable design (which is almost unheard of when it comes to electric cooling systems).
“My wife has turned into lava. Maybe magma. At least when we sleep. She's been miserable [so I got this] for her as a special Christmas gift. The unit emits nice white noise and gradually cools her side of the bed. After a week, she said she’s waking up less [from hot flashes] and isn't sweaty in the morning. The app is simple enough to load and configure. It's not fast or pronounced cooling like an AC on blast. Be ready for a slow and steady cooling effect from the circulation pad,” one reviewer raves.
Want to know which buzzy products are *really* worth buying? Sign up for our shopping newsletter to uncover our favorite finds.
Why You Should Trust UsWhy You Should Trust Us
PureWow is the best friend you never had when it comes to finding the best, most useful lifestyle products online. Founded in 2010, our company’s editors and writers have spent more than a decade shopping online, digging through sales and putting our home goods, beauty finds, wellness picks and more through the wringer—all to help you determine which ones are actually worth your hard-earned cash. From our PureWow100 series, which sees each and every item we test being ranked on a 100-point scale of awesomeness, to the painstakingly curated lists our fashion, beauty, cooking, home and family editors create as vertical experts, you can trust that our recommendations include some of the greatest items you’ll find on the internet. Whether you're looking for travel-size hair dryers you can take on-the-go or women’s walking shoes that won’t hurt your feet, we’ve got you covered.
Sydney Meister is PureWow’s Assistant Lifestyle Editors. Along with covering the latest interior design trends and home hacks, she writes about everything from relationships to travel, must-have wellness products and what's happening in the world of celebrity design. Before PureWow, Sydney worked for various interior designers across NYC—primarily as a content creator focusing on trend forecasting and reporting. She's a go-to resource when it comes to interior styling tips and product recs to keep your home looking au courant (hint: it's time to ditch the modern farmhouse look).