Think about the sheer number of hours a day you sit at your desk. It probably trumps...anything else you do, from walking to even sitting on the couch. With a commitment like that, it certainly helps to invest in a comfortable office chair that supports your back and posture so you’re more motivated to work. If you don’t have an arm and a leg to spend on one, however, not to fret. We researched the best ergonomic office chairs under $200 that promise to optimize your posture, boost your comfort levels throughout the work day and fit seamlessly into any office layout.
13 of the Best Ergonomic Office Chairs Under $200 to Keep You Pain-Free
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
What Is an Ergonomic Office Chair?
Don’t let the intimidating-sounding scientific term trip you up—it’s quite simple, actually. Ergonomic refers to anything that’s designed to remove barriers between you and your environment or application of a product. As such, an ergonomic office chair will focus less on embodying aesthetic trends (some of them *do* happen to be super cute, however!) and more on conforming to your body’s biomechanics, so you can work more efficiently and reduce your risk of muscle imbalance, strain or fatigue.
Research from the Washington Department of Labor and Industries found that companies who switched their employees over to ergonomic furniture—namely office chairs—experienced a reduction in employee absenteeism, reduced incidences of work-related musculoskeletal disorders and increased productivity and work output. Not too shabby for a piece of furniture that takes up very little space, huh?
What to Look For in an Ergonomic Office Chair
- Height adjustment: In the same way that no two bodies are built the same, neither are two ergonomic office chairs. Look for a height adjustment lever (and ideally, adjustable armrests, too) to help align yourself properly to your desk. Spine health experts say you should have your feet planted flat on the floor with your thighs horizontal on the chair and your forearms positioned on the same plane as the desk.
- Swivel: Not only is it fun to swivel around in an office chair, it’s healthier for your back, too, since this function allows you to easily face or reach all corners of your desk without straining your spine.
- Wheels: Chair wheels will enable you to coast from one side of your desk—or even a room—to another without having to reach too far. Look for ones with caster wheels that will better protect your floors, emit less noise and decrease wear to the wheel itself.
- Support: You don’t need to suffer from chronic pain to benefit from extra cushioning. Padded lumbar support can help to neutralize any lower back discomfort you might experience throughout the day as a result of placing undue strain on your pelvis. A headrest, meanwhile, can keep your spine and neck aligned and pain-free, as long as it’s the proper fit for your body.
If you’re at the edge of your seat to find out which chair is best for you, let’s look at the best ergonomic office chairs under $200 to add to your office or WFH setup.
The Best Ergonomic Office Chairs Under $200
- Best Executive Office Chair: Orren Ellis Enosburg Executive Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Breathable Office Chair: Flash Furniture Ergonomic Office Chair
- Most Stylish Office Chair: Glitzhome Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Office Chair With Headrest: Hbada Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Adjustable Office Chair: Amazon Basics Ergonomic Office Chair
- Most Eco-Friendly Office Chair: Upper Square Landyn Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best High-Back Office Chair: Homefun Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Wood Office Chair: OSP Furnishings Banker Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Swivel Office Chair: Vinsetto Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Durable Office Chair: Noblewell Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Office Chair for Back Pain: Serta Executive Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Tufted Office Chair: HomCom Vanity Ergonomic Office Chair
- Best Office Chair Back Support: FelixKing Ergonomic Office Chair
1. Orren Ellis Enosburg Executive Ergonomic Office Chair
Best Executive Office Chair
Instead of just rocking back and forth, you can recline as far back as 120 degrees thanks to the tilt-lock function of this piece.
WHAT WE LIKE: With a generous amount of seat padding, this ergonomic office chair will soon be your favorite place to sit. Its wide seat features a shallow dip for that cozy hammock-like feel. More importantly, however, it’s designed to keep you best aligned with lumbar support that’s seamlessly incorporated into the chair’s tufted design and swivel adjustability. The upholstery is also antimicrobial.
2. Flash Furniture Ergonomic Office Chair
Best breathable office chair
A mesh upholstery back provides ultimate comfort and breathability to this seat—something that will be especially handy when the AC acts up! It comes with padded, foldable armrests to prevent any chafing and a pillowy faux leather finish.
WHAT WE LIKE: With more than 10 color combinations to choose from, this high-quality ergonomic office chair complements any work setup. You can activate or deactivate the included tilt function to more easily lean back, and its caster wheels make for a *wheely* great alternative to chair legs that will scratch the floor.
3. Glitzhome Ergonomic Office Chair
Most stylish office chair
Rounded silhouettes in neutral tones are an excellent way to give your office retro Mad Men vibes, and this Glitzhome chair made of faux leather, metal, bamboo and walnut veneer certainly does the trick.
WHAT WE LIKE: A waterfall cushioned seat provides support for folks of all body shapes by relieving pressure that normally occurs at the back of the thighs and knees. It also improves blood circulation in the lower limbs. This one has an adjustable seat height and back angle for personalized comfort. At 25 pounds, it’s also lightweight enough to move from room to room.
4. Hbada Ergonomic Office Chair
Best office chair with headrest
Maximize your neck comfort by tilting this chair’s headrest up or down by 7 centimeters or 30 degrees side to side. It also doubles as a gaming chair.
WHAT WE LIKE: If you’ve ever felt like using your work break to nap, this ergonomic office chair is a must. On top of its human curve-designed headrest, it reclines backward by as much 155 degrees, so you can work, rest or sleep. There’s adjustable lumbar support and its foam padded seat is said to be anti-odor, breathable and as comfy as spending the day on your sofa, too.
5. Amazon Basics Ergonomic Office Chair
Best adjustable office chair
Made of durable polyurethane faux leather, this all-purpose ergonomic office chair fits most budgets and décors.
WHAT WE LIKE: If you’re not looking for anything fancy, this best-selling option is a great bet. This chair is as easy to assemble as it is to spend the day on, with all of its parts fitting easily together like a puzzle. It reclines, swivels and includes seat-height adjustment.
6. Upper Square Landyn Ergonomic Office Chair
Most eco-friendly office chair
This bright seat may look like any other office chair, but it’s actually MAS Certified Green, meaning it’s designed and manufactured to meet low (volatile organic compound) VOC chemical emissions standards.
WHAT WE LIKE: If caring for the environment (and your health) is important to you, then this chair delivers, while still being a comfy and stylish addition to your workspace. A few key reasons why? The swivel ability, lumbar support, tilt-locking mechanism and seat height adjustment, for starters.
7. Homefun Ergonomic Office Chair
Best high-back office chair
A dense foam built-in footrest on the seat of this high back chair allows you to elevate your feet throughout the day, which can help to promote circulation if you find yourself sitting for several hours at a time. It may also encourage you to rock or move your legs around.
WHAT WE LIKE: Your legs aren’t the only things that will get relief from this chair. It’s algo got a padded headrest and adjustable lumbar support to reduce tension in your neck and back, allowing you to work longer hours more comfortably. A light-to-the-touch gas lift even makes it easy to adjust the seat height.
8. Osp Home Furnishingsbanker's Ergonomic Office Chair
Best wood office chair
The wood frame enveloping this ergonomic office chair will not only provide rustic charm to your office chair, but unmatched longevity.
WHAT WE LIKE: Its vinyl padded seat comes in either black or brown (which looks more like a timeless mahogany) and it looks stellar against the wood finish. A locking tilt control allows you to maintain your ideal seat positioning, while the wood planks at the back of the chair allow for some breathability.
9. Vinsetto Ergonomic Office Chair
Best swivel office chair
With its 360-degree swivel and rotating wheels, this ergonomic office chair gives you full range of motion.
WHAT WE LIKE: If you’re not looking for the slick, slightly cool-to-the-touch sensation of faux leather, the linen found in this top-rated swivel style will keep you happily glued to your seat. A gas lift makes height adjustments easy, while padded armrests ensure that your posture is aligned.
10. Noblewell Ergonomic Office Chair
Best durable office chair
With a weight support limit of 300 pounds and a metal frame with high-quality plates, this ergonomic office chair is one of the most durable you can find.
WHAT WE LIKE: Not only strong but comfortable too, this seat’s headrest, armrests, lumbar support, recliner and height are all customizable. Wheel casters keep your sitting experience quiet and gentle on your floors, while the thick sponge padding will be gentle on your hips.
11. Serta Executive Ergonomic Office Chair
Best office chair for back pain
Leave it to a mattress brand to dream up one of the coziest office chairs on the market. Layered with body pillows and covered with a warm linen upholstery, this is the real deal for those with back pain.
WHAT WE LIKE: The recline lock feature of this design allows you to tilt without tilting over. The waterfall seat edge will help to relieve pressure in lower appendages, and non-toxic foam lumbar support make this chair a winner from every angle. There are also dual-wheel casters for gliding over any type of flooring.
12. Homcom Vanity Ergonomic Office Chair
Best Tufted Office Chair
Don’t be fooled by the glam appearance of this velvety office chair. Beneath all the glitz, it still has ergonomic properties that promote extra range of motion for your neck, upper back and shoulders.
WHAT WE LIKE: We love when something as utilitarian as an office chair happens to embody popular design motifs: There’s a tufted back for unparalleled cushioning, sequined studs for an elevated look and a luxe covering for a soft feel. Electroplated legs increase the overall durability and anti-corrosive properties of the chair, while its reclining function allows you to rock back and forth if you’re feeling particularly fidgety.
17. Felixking Ergonomic Office Chair
Best office chair back support
With this best-selling pick, you can customize the positioning of the butterfly-shaped lumbar support of the chair up or down by 5 centimeters to properly support your waist and take pressure off your spine.
WHAT WE LIKE: In addition to the awesome adjustable butterfly feature, the armrests of this chair flip up 90 degrees when you need them out of your way. It reclines by up to 30 degrees if you feel like kicking back, lifts up and down by upwards of 3 inches, and it comes in black.