The 15 Best Restaurants in Miami to Score Killer Tacos
We firmly believe every night should be taco night. Fortunately, Miami is a hotbed for inventive Mexican—and Mexican-inspired—eats. From Homestead to Wynwood, here’s our surefire list of where to find the absolute best tacos in Miami—from classic combos such as beef, lettuce, tomato and (of course) cheese, to more unconventional flavor combos like shrimp with mango slaw—this list will have you ready to dive in whether or not it's a Tuesday.
161 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach; 786-276-0535
1961 SW 8th St., Miami; 305-644-4015
4. Los FelixThere’s nothing not to like at this intimate Mexican restaurant in Coconut Grove. Los Felix combines artfully prepared bites with a relaxed, laid-back vibe. As for the menu, you can’t go wrong with the shrimp tacos with pickled red onions, braised pork belly arepa, tuna tostada and quesadilla with squash blossom, cheese and avocado.
3413 Main Hwy., Coconut Grove; 305-640-5013
5. Coyo TacoIt’s pretty hard to improve upon classic tacos, but the unexpected ingredient combos (like shrimp with mango slaw or seared steak with smoked bacon) at this Miami-born spot seal the deal. Blood orange margaritas, corn on the cob with cotija aioli, and a bowl of guacamole help, too.
808 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 786-431-1947
7. GitanoThis Tulum import brings chic Mexican vacation vibes to South Beach, offering a killer menu of small bites, tropical cocktails and a jungle-inspired rooftop bar. The multilevel space encourages diners to spend an entire evening—and with all there is to enjoy, it’s pretty easy to do. Begin with an order of guac and a couple of tostadas and tacos inside the first-level dining area. (We recommend the chorizo con queso.) Then make your way upstairs for music, dancing and a few fancy cocktails.
3500 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 786-655-5600
313 NW 25th St., Miami; 786-580-4948
This sit-down joint has more than just tacos on the menu, but it’s the chargrilled steak tacos—served in petite shot glasses—that we dream about for days after we dine there. Keep an eye out for the guacamole tasting plate, featuring three different guac varieties, and the chilaquiles made with green tomatillo sauce, queso fresco and pulled chicken.
701 S. Miami Ave., Miami; 786-347-5368 or
From South Beach to Kendall, build your perfect taco at Taco and Tattoos. You’ll first choose a tortilla (corn, crispy, tostada, flour, lettuce wrap), and then protein (chicken, carne asada, pork belly, mushrooms, queso frito). Top it off with a line-up of garnishes, from guac to pico de gallo to grilled onions. Don’t forget an order of the Kick’n Cheese, lightly spiced white cheese with tortilla chips.
13. Hoja TaqueriaHand-made tortillas using corn sourced from family farms in Oaxaca, Mexico, Hoja Taqueria doesn’t play around when it comes to making tacos. Located in downtown Miami and Miami Beach, this spot pretty much serves every kind of taco imaginable—but one of our all-time favorites is the plain-and-simple avocado, stuffed with black beans, Oaxaca cheese and avocado (duh).
15. Taqueria MoreliaWith locations in Homestead and Florida City, Taqueria Morelia is worth the drive. You won’t find any frills, but you will find the freshest, tastiest charbroiled skirt steak tacos. Bonus: Most tacos here are less than $3 each.