You heard it here first: The clutch purse is totally making a comeback. (Check out Bey's Oscars tennis ball bag for proof.) If you ask us, it's not a moment too soon, either. While there’s no doubt that a tote can be a lifesaver when you've got a lot to carry, many of us aren't exactly fans of digging through a too-big bag for that ever-elusive lip gloss. That’s where these compact picks come in. Contrary to popular belief, they're not just for formal events (although you certainly can’t go wrong by carrying one to a wedding). The best clutch purse be just roomy enough to hold your essentials (keys, phone, wallet, gloss), keep you organized and add a chic flair to any outfit.
The 21 Best Clutch Purses for Date Night—and Beyond
PureWow editors select every item that appears on this page, and the company may earn compensation through affiliate links within the story. You can learn more about that process here.
What Is a Clutch Purse?
With a history that dates back at least 700 years, a clutch purse is a small bag that you hold, or clutch, as you wear it, be it from the bottom of the purse or the side. Some are void of straps or handles, though plenty of other models now offer these as detachable accessory add-ons that you can choose to wear across your body, over your shoulder or by looping a strap around your hand or wrist.
What to Look for in a Clutch
- Leather: Leather is known for its durability, especially when it's of the cowhide variety. Lambskin leather, on the other hand, tends to be incredibly soft to the touch. If you’re vegan, however, there are plenty of faux leather options available.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane is one such option that may be attractive to animal lovers, as it's completely artificial, yet can offer a similar look to leather. It's also fairly durable, though it will crack over time more easily than the real deal. While it takes quite a while to break down (roughly 500 years), polyurethane is still considered more eco-friendly than plastic due to its manufacturing and usage.
- Polyester: Durable, easy to clean, since it can be machine-washed, and on the affordable side, polyester can be a great option for a clutch. It water-resistant, too, so it'll keep your stuff protected from the elements.
- Cotton: If you’re looking for a casual, everyday option, you may want to check out a bag made with this natural fiber. It's super versatile, meaning a plethora of patterns can be designed with it, it's sustainable and it's nice and strong for those of you with a 20-pound wallet (we see you!).
- Strap: Many clutches come with removable or adjustable straps that enable you to wear your bag as a convenient, hands-free crossbody, so it's a good idea to make sure your clutch has one if you're someone who prefers to carry your bag over your shoulder.
- Closures: The most common types of closures are zippers, magnets, push locks, snaps and clasps, any of which will work to secure your items. If you need to access your things quickly and easily, a snap or clasp may be the way to go, while those who are looking for something more secure may prefer to use a clutch with a zippered closure.
- Pockets: Since clutches tend to be on the smaller side, the number and arrangement of its pockets will be an important feature to look for.
The Best Clutch Purses at a Glance
- Best Colorful Clutch: Kurt Geiger London Party Stripe Clutch
- Best Classic Clutch: Tory Burch Leather Eleanor Clutch
- Best Novelty Clutch Bag: Letode Evil Eye Clutch
- Best Small Clutch: JW PEI FEI Clutch
- Best Large Clutch Purse: Mansur Gavriel Leather Mini Cloud Clutch
- Best Metal Clutch Bag: CARIEDO Clutch
- Best Fringe Clutch: Olga Berg Carlita Carnivale Clutch
- Best Woven Clutch: Anthropologie Lindy Clutch
- Best Clutch With Chain: Kate Spade Leather Roulette Chain Clutch
- Best Evening Clutch Purse: INC Kelsie Clutch
- Best Velvet Clutch: Tara Zhadeh Clutch Purse
- Best Pouch Clutch Bag: Madewell The Leather Poutch Clutch
- Best Wedding Clutch Purse: Cult Gaia Leather Nala Mini Clutch
- Best Envelope Clutch: Fashion Puzzle Envelope Clutch
- Best Designer Clutch: Yves Saint Laurent Loulou Clutch
- Best Crystal Clutch: Whiting & Davis Crystal Clasp Clutch
- Best Beaded Clutch: Olga Berg Casey Hot Fix Clutch
- Best Leather Clutch Purse: Baobab Roots Leather Hazo Minimalist
- Best Clutch Purse With Strap: Michael Kors Greenwich Clutch
- Best Foldover Clutch: Coach Leather Anna Foldover Clutch
- Best Straw Clutch: alilove Straw Clutch
Best Colorful Clutch
- Why We Love It: Fun pattern, durable acrylic build
Take it from Assigning Commerce Editor Nicole Briese: Up close and personal, this clutch is a thing of beauty. The mix of marbled and glittery colors are shiny and vibrant, and the unique acrylic body is super sturdy for the price. You don't have to fight with the snap-flap closure to get it open or shut (even when you're using one hand), and its interior compartment is decently sized to account for everything you need. It also comes with a shoulder chain strap that allows it to double as a crossbody.
Best Classic Clutch
- Why We Love It: Jewelry-inspired hardware, real Italian leather
A Tory Burch bag is basically the holy grail of chic accessories, and this little clutch makes it easy to see why, between its clean edges, which are hand-painted, and its soft, Italian leather. It has a magnetic closure for easy access and a removable gold chain strap that was modeled after a twisted piece of jewelry. (Read: It's stunning.) Pair it with some strappy heels for an ultra-polished look.
Best Novelty Clutch Bag
- Why We Love It: Unique design, reflects light
Talk about a head-turner! This sparkly clutch features rich, confetti colors encased by a 100 percent acrylic material that won't easily fade, even after a few years. It will also be strong enough withstand a few bumps and bangs. Inside, you'll find a soft, velvety material for that extra-luxe feel.
Best Small Clutch
- Why We Love It: Fits an iPhone 12 Max, well-organized
When you're working with a compact design, like this JW PEI clutch, organization is of the utmost importance. That's why we appreciate the six credit card slots and impressive four pockets its vegan plastic frame affords. It's available in the pictured earthy brown, a sleek black or a contemporary blue to best suit your taste, too.
Best Large Clutch Purse
- Why We Love It: Spacious interior, adjustable strap
This ruched, lightweight clutch is made with unlined lambskin leather and has a single, spacious compartment that makes it seem larger than than its counterparts. There's a removable strap in case you get tired of holding it, and it comes with a dust bag to keep it in pristine condition.
Best Metal Clutch Bag
- Why We Love It: Protects your phone, makes a statement
This clutch has a hollow metal trim that will not only give off a classy, art-deco-inspired flair, it will give your bag some structure. Inside, there's a hidden strap and a soft velvet interior lining to prevent your belongings from getting scratched, and reviewers say it looks far nicer than the price tag would lead you to believe is possible.
Best Fringe Clutch
- Why We Love It: Bold, bright color, detachable strap
When you're looking to make a serious statement, you can't go wrong with this vibrant gold and raffia clutch, which is covered in colorful fringe—a hugely trending detail for 2022—on one side. It comes with a detachable chain-link strap, so you can wear it multiple ways, and there's a slip pocket at the back for your credit cards and ID. We guarantee you’ll be turning heads with this bad boy.
Best Woven Clutch
- Why We Love It: Multiple pockets, soft to the touch
This trendy clutch has two interior zipped pockets with an easily accessible zip-top closure to boot. The strap comes off when you want it to, and given how luxe-feeling shoppers say it is, that may be on the reg. “The bag is so soft," one satisfied buyer wrote, adding, "It’s the perfect bag for a date night or if going out with just a few essentials (wallet, keys, phone, lipstick).”
Best Clutch With Chain
- Why We Love It: 16 credit card slots, high-quality leather
This roomy clutch, which features a magnetic flap closure, is basically like an oversized wallet when it comes to organization. It has a whopping 16 card slots, plus two slip pockets and a zipper pocket, so you'll always know where everything, from your grocery loyalty card to your phone, is at given time. It's made of a high-quality leather, too, which the company claims will only get better with age. “Much roomier than expected, and I love the option of being able to detach the chain!” wrote one 5-star reviewer.
Best Evening Clutch Purse
- Why We Love It: Elegant, coverts to a shoulder bag
With a gold or silver exterior framed hardware, this small, elegant clutch will be the one you pair with a cocktail dress on special occasions. Wrote one 5-star reviewer: “This clutch looks expensive, especially with that big sparkling rectangle crystal on top of the tab closure.” Drape it around your shoulder with the drop-in chain when you need your hands free to dance.
Best Velvet Clutch
- Why We Love It: Luxe feel, round shape
This sophisticated option boasts a distinctively round shape and an über-plush velvety feel to match the richness of its ochre yellow hue. The little handle gives it some versatility, and there's a pocket inside for all your most essential treasures. Hey, at more than 75 percent off, we don’t mind if we do!
Best Pouch Clutch Bag
- Why We Love It: Soft leather, geometric pattern
With its top-zip closure, six card slots and interior snap pocket, this simple clutch is great for everyday use. The understated pinwheel design gives it a rustic, '70s vibe that you easily pair with your favorite jeans or flats for a great, laid-back look. Toss it inside a bigger bag or carry it solo on-the-go.
Best Wedding Clutch Purse
- Why We Love It: Invisible magnetic closure, cool shape
Designed in the shape of a clamshell, this 100 percent napa cow leather clutch has an invisible snap closure at the top to secure your belongings. Wear it to a wedding, museum or play to feel sophisticated and elegant.
Best Envelope Clutch
- Why We Love It: Tons of colors, cute striped lining
Perfect for a night out on the town, this chic clutch comes with a removable chain strap and a foldover design with a zippered pocket at the top that enables you to tuck your most precious items away when you're out and about. There are also three credit cards inside for storage. What’s not to like?
Best Designer Clutch
- Why We Love It: High fashion, matching cardholder
If you're looking to splurge, this clutch from iconic brand Yves Saint Laurent will certainly be a worthy investment. With an '80s-inspired lavender denim fabric in the same puffy shape that the company's bags have practically become synonymous with, this piece puts a fresh spin on an old classic. It's complemented by a signature Saint Laurent gold logo, and it even comes with a matching cardholder.
Best Crystal Clutch
- Why We Love It: Satin lining, retro feel
This crystal-covered beauty is a glamorous throwback to the Hollywood days of yore, and it's no wonder—the brand has been making its metal mesh handbags since 1876! In addition to the shiny exterior, this one's got an opulent satin interior, complete with a slip pocket, and a removable shoulder chain strap that give you a few ways to wear it.
Best Beaded Clutch
- Why We Love It: Glamorous crystals, removable chain
If you wanna turn heads the second you walk through a room, then look no further than this hot pink clutch. Its rectangular frame is practical enough, but it's bejeweled with a plethora of glitzy crystals that will make you stand out in a crowd. Better yet? It has a removable chain, so it can easily double as a crossbody.
- Why We Love It: Clever wrist strap, edgy design, super luxe interior
Let's face it: Your bag can make or break your outfit. One clutch that falls distinctly in the "make" column? Baobab Roots' Hazo Minimalist. Unlike most of the styles seen here, this one has a strap that allows you to casually drape it from your wrist. The Italian-grade leather is trimmed with silver studs, giving its otherwise classic design a bit of edge (and if you want even more, you can try the Hazo Maximalist, which is covered in pointed spikes, though we recommend grabbing the mini version, as it's on the larger side). This baby also has some of the most luxe material we've ever felt inside, making it a treat to sift through.
Best Clutch Purse With Strap
- Why We Love It: Polished style, trusted brand
When you want something tried-and-true, Michael Kors can do no wrong. The designer's signature print logo will instantly elevate your ensemble, and the canvas material is so luxe, it won't be at odds with the supple leather trim the clutch is edged with. Inside, you'll find a center-zip compartment, and the detachable strap adjusts for comfort.
Best Foldover Clutch
- Why We Love It: Can be used as crossbody, zip compartments
This foldover bag from the one and only Coach has everything you could ever want in a clutch. It's made of real, supple pebbled leather. It's got a removable strap that allows you to convert it to a crossbody. There's a pocket for your cash, a separate interior compartment for keys and the like and eight different credit card slots, too. Add in the handy magnetic closure, and you just might have the perfect purse.
Best Straw Clutch
- Why We Love It: Large compartment, summery feel
Yet another pick that looks far pricier than its tag, this breezy choice is one of the larger clutches on our list, giving you ample room for all your beachy necessities. It's handmade with a sturdy straw material, and at less than $20, you can afford to pick one up in each of its three available colors.