While we're all cooped up in our houses for the foreseeable future, there's never been a better time to read, read, read. It's what Clarence House says Camilla Parker Bowles is doing, anyway. In a tweet, the Duchess of Cornwall wrote, "Ernest Hemingway, famously, once said, 'There is no friend as loyal as a book.' In these challenging times when we are isolated from the ones we love, many of us are finding comfort in reading, to fire up our imaginations, to take us on journeys and to make us laugh. With that in mind, here is a list of my dearest 'friends.'" Here are the nine titles she shared:
1. Restless by William Boyd
2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
3. The Simon Serrailler Series by Susan Hill
4. The Secret Commonwealth by Phillip Pullman
5. The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard
6. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
7. The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain
8. The Architect’s Apprentice by Elif Shafak
9. Travels on My Elephant by Mark Shand
An impressive mix of classics old and new, it also proves that the duchess is a big fan of book series and stories about travel. Once you make your way through Camilla's reading list, might we suggest Meghan Markle's? Back in March 2016, Markle opened up on her website The Tig about five books she says have "fed [her] soul throughout the years." They include Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, Benjamin Hoff's The Tao of Pooh and more.
Happy reading, everybody.