15 Little Confidence Boosters to Try When You’re Feeling Down
No matter how confident you are, there are always going to be times when you feel like nothing is going your way. Luckily, there are a bunch of super-simple (and fast) ways to get your mojo back so you can return to ruling the world in a flash. Here, 15 of our go-tos.
1. Sing in the shower like you’re Beyoncé at the Grammys. Who run the world? Oh, that’s right. You do.
2. Drop a few f-bombs. Per Psychology Today, using swear words might make you feel more empowered. (Just, um, make sure there aren’t any little kids around.)
3. Stand up straighter. People with a confident posture (back straight, chest slightly pushed forward) are proven to be happier and think more positively.
4. Spritz on some perfume. A study in the Journal of Cosmetic Sciences found that people who spray on a scent tend to feel more confident.
5. Embrace superstition, whether that means knocking on wood or having your lucky hair tie on your wrist at all times to make you feel comfortable and secure.
6. Strike a power pose, like putting your hands on your hips, à la Amy Cuddy in her now-famous Ted Talk. Now do it in line at the grocery store. And while you’re pumping gas. And hanging out with your dog.
7. Down a cup of coffee for an instant energy boost.
8. Put on an outfit that makes you feel like a boss, like that kickass pair of wide-leg trousers and your go-to blazer that lets you channel a less cutthroat version of Claire Underwood.
9. Reminisce about all of your awesome accomplishments and pat yourself on the back. Remember that work presentation you totally rocked? The one that led to your last promotion? That was awesome.
10. Take several slow, deep breaths to maximize oxygen flow to your lungs and brain.
11. Smile. About a memory or a YouTube video of John Travolta mispronouncing Idina Menzel’s name. (This will never ever get old.)
12. Exercise—even if it’s just a few push-ups or squats to release some tension in your muscles.
13. Scroll through inspirational quotes on Pinterest. (Just don’t post any to Instagram.)
14. Adopt and repeat a mantra, even if it’s cheesy as hell. “I’m good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.”
15. Put on the Rocky theme song and run up and down the stairs…even if they’re just in your house.