Zoodles with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
It takes a good deal of self control to refrain from eating pasta every night of the week. That's why we're loving this this lighter take on spaghetti pomodoro, which subs zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) for carbs. Now this, we'd eat every day--and not feel bad about it.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 zucchini, cut into noodles (using a gadget like this)
1½ cups marinara sauce (store-bought or homemade)
1¼ cups diced fresh mozzarella
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more.
2. Add the zucchini noodles and sauté until they just begin to get tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the noodles are very tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
4. Add the mozzarella and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve warm, garnished with basil.