Waffle Breakfast Sandwich with Chorizo
It’s the hardest decision you’ll ever have to make on a Saturday: waffles or eggs for breakfast? Now you don’t have to choose. Introducing the savory waffle breakfast sandwich with chorizo. You’ll never go back to plain old bacon and eggs again.
4 links chorizo sausage
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Savory Cheese Waffles
4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1. Make the Sausage: Remove the casings from the sausages and form each link into a 4- to 5-inch patty.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sausage patties to the pan and cook until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the patties from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the pan and melt it over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Build the Sandwiches: If desired, trim round waffles into squares to resemble slices of bread. Place one waffle on a plate and top with a sausage patty and a fried egg. Garnish the egg with 1 teaspoon chives and top with a second waffle.
5. Repeat with the remaining waffles, sausages, eggs and chives. Serve immediately.