Vegan Spiced Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Chef Nisha Vora, author of The Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook: Wholesome, Indulgent Plant-Based Recipes (in stores June 2019), is all about creating nourishing recipes that taste indulgent.
We’re swooning over her vegan spiced blueberry breakfast cake. It’s sweet but not too sweet, and it’s moist, tender and bursting with juicy fruit. Free of refined sugars and packed with fiber, it’s one cake you can feel fabulous about having for breakfast.
“I use whole-grain spelt flour because it adds nutritional benefits,” Vora tells us. “Fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins make this appropriate for breakfast, but you can easily use all-purpose flour if that’s what you have on hand.”
Tasty, healthful and versatile? That’
PureWow’s Chef in Residence program invites food influencers and tastemakers from all over the world to create new recipes in our New York City test kitchen.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup almond butter
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons whole-grain spelt flour, divided
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1½ cups fresh or defrosted frozen blueberries
½ cup shelled pistachios (about 60 grams, or 4 ounces unshelled pistachios), finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting the paper extend a few
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine 1¾ cups of the spelt flour, the rolled oats, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, baking soda and salt.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring to combine with a wooden spoon until well incorporated.
5. In a small bowl, combine the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons spelt flour, tossing to coat (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Using a rubber spatula, fold the blueberries and chopped pistachios into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
6. Bake the loaf until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan on top of a wire rack, then lift the bread out of the pan using the parchment as handles. Serve warm or at room temperature.