Introducing Tater Tot nachos. You read right: Tater Tot nachos. Tortilla chips are great and all, but crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside potatoes just so happen to be an ideal base for nacho toppings like spicy chorizo and melty cheese. Add your favorite salsa, a drizzle of sour cream, some scallions, pickled onions and cilantro, and you’ve officially made yourself the most over-the-top nachos ever. The fact that they come together in just 30 minutes? Well, that’s just a bonus.
One 32-ounce bag Tater Tots
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
½ pound fresh chorizo sausage
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Sour cream, salsa verde, sliced avocado and quick-pickled onions, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. Spread the Tater Tots on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake until they begin to turn golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
4. Crumble the sausage into the pan and sauté until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes.
5. Remove the Tater Tots from the oven and pour the sausage mixture evenly on top. Cover with the cheddar and Monterey Jack and return to the oven to bake until the cheese is melted, 7 to 9 minutes.
6. Remove the nachos from the oven and top with green onion, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado and pickled onions before serving.