Pancake Tacos with Cheese and Bacon
The struggle is real: You’re making breakfast, but you can’t decide whether to make fluffy pancakes or bacon and eggs. Luckily, you’ll never have to make this tricky decision again. Introducing pancake tacos with bacon and eggs—aka “pacos.” Your new favorite breakfast is served.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
Nonstick cooking spray
8 slices cheddar cheese
8 strips bacon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 eggs, whisked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line one baking sheet with aluminum foil and one with parchment paper.
2. Make the Pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Add the buttermilk, melted butter and egg, and mix well.
3. Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Working in batches, scoop ¼ cup of the batter onto the hot griddle (you’ll get 8 pancakes total). Cook until the bottom of the pancake is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more. (If the pancake looks too fluffy when you flip it, press it down a little with your spatula to flatten it.)
5. Transfer the finished pancakes to the parchment-lined baking sheet and top each with a slice of cheese.
6. Make the Filling: Arrange the bacon strips on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, 15 to 17 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, transfer the baking sheet of pancakes to the oven to warm them and melt the cheese.
7. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
8. To serve, break each piece of bacon in half and place the two halves on top of a pancake. Repeat with all the bacon and pancakes, and then divide the scrambled eggs among the pancakes. Garnish with scallions and hot sauce, if using. Serve immediately.