Mozzarella-Stuffed Pizza Bread
At the risk of sounding cheesy, mozzarella-stuffed pizza bread is the greatest thing since sliced…you get where we’re going.
“Like no pizza you’ve ever seen before, the cheese is stuffed inside and the sauce is swirled around the exterior,” explains recipe developer Erin McDowell. “The result is an easy recipe that looks super impressive.”
It’s the ultimate party appetizer—but it’s just as tasty as an entrée served with a big salad.
1 pound (453g) pizza dough
1 large (56g) egg
12 ounces (340g) finely diced fresh mozzarella
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (142g) sun-dried tomato pesto (store-bought or homemade)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
⅓ cup (50g) finely grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 4-by-14-inch rectangle. Cut the dough in half lengthwise. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water until combined.
3. Sprinkle the mozzarella down the length of one piece of the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle the oregano and pepper evenly over the cheese. Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash around the perimeter of the other piece of dough. Stack the pieces of dough, pressing firmly around the edges to seal and encase the cheese.
4. Use a spoon to spread a line of pesto, about 1 inch thick, all the way down the length of the dough.
5. Gently pick up the dough and twist down the length of it so that the pesto looks swirled. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and coil it into a tight spiral.
6. Brush the dough with the olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the Parmesan onto the dough and then bake until very golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Serve immediately, garnished with basil.