Make-Ahead Farro and Brussels Sprout Salad
Buh-bye, lettuce. Brussels sprout leaves win out for their irresistible crunch and magical ability to never wilt, even when they’re dressed ahead of time. We’ve incorporated them into this make-ahead farro and Brussels sprout salad. It’s bright, tangy and fruity—and it lasts for up to four days in the refrigerator, fully assembled. Now that’s what we’re talking about.
1 cup farro
2¼ cups vegetable broth
1 pound Brussels sprouts, leaves separated
¾ cup pomegranate seeds
1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 shallots, peeled and minced
¼ cup white wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the farro and vegetable broth to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the farro is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and let the farro cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the farro, Brussels sprout leaves, pomegranate seeds and radishes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and honey. Gradually drizzle in the olive oil while whisking constantly; season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the dressing to the farro and Brussels sprout mixture and toss well to combine.
5. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to four days.