You love lasagna. You love soup. So for dinner tonight, why the heck not try a fun mash-up of the two greatest meals on earth? Just don’t skimp on the cheese.
8 ounces lasagna noodles
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground beef, pork or Italian sausage
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
2½ cups spinach
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
Basil, as needed for finishing
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook according to the package’s instructions. Drain and reserve.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and sauté until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
3. Add the meat to the pan and use your spoon to break it up into small pieces. Sauté until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the oregano, thyme and tomatoes. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat.
5. Cover the pot and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
6. While the soup simmers, slice each lasagna noodle into ⅓-inch pieces (slice from the shorter side so that each piece has frilly ends on both sides).
7. When the soup has finished simmering, stir in the noodles, spinach and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. In a small bowl, stir the ricotta with the mozzarella. To serve the soup, scoop 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture into the base of each bowl, then ladle soup on top. Serve immediately, garnished with basil.