Let’s see how much we can stuff into one mini quesadilla. Marinated skirt steak, cheese, sour cream, avocado…should we keep going? Bottom line: You’re going to want to commit this recipe to memory.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
4 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lime, divided
1 pound skirt steak
1 ripe avocado
¼ cup Mexican crema or sour cream
Twelve 6-inch flour tortillas
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend
1. In a glass dish, combine the olive oil with half of the lime juice. Add the steak and marinate for at least 15 minutes but no more than 1 hour.
2. Grill the steak to the desired doneness. Let it rest for 10 minutes and then slice thinly, against the grain.
3. While the steak is resting, make the dipping sauce. In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the avocadowith the crema and remaining lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
4. Preheat a cast-iron skillet on the stove top over medium heat. Brush with olive oil or vegetable oil. Place a tortilla in thepan and layer on steak and cheese. Top with another tortilla. Cook until the cheese starts to melt and then flip.
5. Cut the quesadilla into quarters and serve with the avocado dipping sauce.