Hot Buttered Rum Is Basically the Adult Version of Hot Chocolate
Expecting company? Maybe the girls for book club or the neighbors for dinner? Then we suggest ending the night (or, heck, starting it) with this recipe for hot buttered rum. It tastes basically like dessert in a glass—a grown-up's alternative to hot chocolate, if you will. So go ahead and enjoy.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups water
1 cup rum
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon sticks, for serving
1. In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and honey, and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the water and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Stir occasionally with a whisk while it heats.
4. When the mixture is hot, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the rum and vanilla extract.
5. Divide the mixture among four mugs and serve immediately, garnished with cinnamon sticks.