Glazed Blueberry Cake
Yellow cake lovers will go nuts over this glazed blueberry cake with a moist, tender crumb. It won’t weigh you down—even if you have two slices—and we’d even argue it’s perfectly acceptable to eat for breakfast. Basically a fruit salad, right?
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup fine cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
2⅓ cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
2 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. Make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, then beat in the lemon zest, mixing well to combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
4. Add the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour; mix to combine. Add the yogurt and mix to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries with the lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons flour.
6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Scatter the blueberries in an even layer over the surface of the cake batter.
7. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then gently unmold from the cake pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
8. Make the Icing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and cream. When the cake has cooled, drizzle the icing all over the cake before serving.