Fall Cobb Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
You could argue that it’s not technically a Cobb salad without the requisite chicken breast, eggs, bacon and tomato…but we can never resist toying with a recipe. Our fall Cobb salad is ready for sweater season, with an array of autumnal produce that proves salads don’t have to follow rules. Seriously, you don’t: We used roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts, but you could also try winter squash and broccoli. Plus, one taste of the maple vinaigrette and you’ll wonder where it’s been all your life.
6 ounces bacon
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
Extra-virgin olive oil
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon minced shallot (from about ½ small shallot)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 head romaine, torn into bite-size pieces
2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on an unlined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 18 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and cool. When cool, chop or crumble into bite-size pieces.
3. Arrange the Brussels sprouts on one half of an unlined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt. Toss to coat, then arrange the halves in a single layer, cut side down. On the other half of the same baking sheet, add the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Arrange the slices in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and roast until everything is tender and beginning to caramelize, 18 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool while you make the dressing.
4. Make the dressing: In a small jar, combine the vinegar, maple syrup, shallot, salt, olive oil and a few cracks of black pepper. Seal tightly, then shake to combine.
5. Assemble the salad: In a large serving bowl or on a platter, add the lettuce. Arrange the bacon, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, crumbled blue cheese, cranberries and eggs in rows over the lettuce. Drizzle with the dressing or serve it on the side.