Chicken Kebabs with Garlic Lemon Yogurt
Chef Eden Grinshpan, host of Top Chef Canada and cofounder and executive chef of Middle Eastern restaurant Dez in New York City, recently stopped by the PureWow test kitchen to whip up an effortless dinner: chicken kebabs with garlic lemon yogurt.
Although the recipe calls for just a few ingredients, she kicks the flavor up a notch by marinating the chicken in baharat, a Middle Eastern spice blend. Typically made from a mixture of dried mint, dried oregano, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and nutmeg, it lends a warm and unexpected flavor to the dish. (McCormick makes a blend that’s available at the supermarket, or you can order it on Amazon.)
Don’t skip the cherry tomatoes, dipping sauce and mint—they come together while the chicken is marinating and make this recipe a complete meal.
PureWow’s Chef in Residence program invites food influencers and tastemakers from all over the world to create new recipes in our New York City test kitchen.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons baharat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, grated and divided
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 cup plain whole Greek yogurt
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Fresh mint, for garnishing
1. Combine the chicken, baharat, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 clove of the garlic in a large resealable plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with salt, pepper and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast until the tomatoes are blistered, 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Soak four bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes. Divide chicken among the skewers, threading each piece through the center.
4. Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Grill the chicken, turning once or twice, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and remaining garlic; season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the grilled chicken alongside the dipping sauce and cherry tomatoes; garnish with fresh mint.