Beef Flatbread with Herb Sauce
We know what you're thinking: "A flatbread without cheese? Are you mad?" Rest assured: This beef flatbread with herb sauce is so damn flavorful, you won't miss the dairy one bit.
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
16 ounces store-bought pizza dough
12 ounces ground beef
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
¾ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1¼ cups parsley leaves
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup mint leaves
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 lemon, zested and juiced
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lemon, sliced
Red-pepper flakes, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease two baking sheets with 2 tablespoons olive oil each.
2. Make the Flatbread: Divide the dough in half and use your hands to gently stretch each half into a ½-inch-thick oval. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the beef with the cumin, coriander, Aleppo pepper, salt, pepper and lemon zest to combine.
4. Spread half the meat mixture in a thin layer on one piece of pizza dough. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture and dough.
5. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the meat is fully cooked, 13 to 15 minutes.
6. Make the Herb Sauce: While the flatbread bakes, combine the parsley with the cilantro, mint, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is a coarse sauce resembling pesto.
7. When the flatbreads are finished, dollop the herb sauce over the surface and serve immediately, garnished with red-pepper flakes.