Baked Quinoa Chicken Nuggets
Your kid’s favorite food is chicken nuggets (and fine, you’ve been known to steal a few). But they aren’t the most nutritious meal…which is why we gave them an upgrade. These baked quinoa chicken nuggets are crispy, moist, ready in 30 minutes and are way tastier than the frozen kind.
Here’s a pro-level tip for breading the nugs: When you set up your dredging station (you know, flour, egg and quinoa), designate one hand for dipping in the dry ingredients and one for the eggs. That way, you’ll avoid the usual mess that happens when the flour and eggs mix together.
The only thing that could improve these babies is if they were dino-shaped.
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
Honey mustard, as needed for serving
Barbecue sauce, as needed for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium shallow bowl, whisk the flour with the garlic powder, salt and black pepper to combine. In a second medium shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the cooked quinoa in a third medium shallow bowl.
3. Dredge a piece of chicken in the flour mixture until coated. Dip it into the egg, let the excess drip off and then dip it into the quinoa to coat fully. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
4. Spray the chicken nuggets with nonstick cooking spray and bake until they are golden brown and fully cooked, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
5. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve the nuggets with honey mustard and barbecue sauce on the side for dipping.