Bacon-Wrapped Black Cod with Spinach and Capers
Things we look for in a summer dinner-party recipe: easy to prepare, seasonal ingredients and tons of flavor. Well, this recipe for bacon-wrapped black cod with spinach and capers checks all the boxes. Smithfield bacon lends savory flavor and crunchy texture to fresh black cod, while a bed of sautéed spinach keeps the dish light. The best part? The entire meal can be cooked and on the table in a matter of 40 minutes.
12 strips Smithfield Thick Cut Bacon
Four 6-ounce black cod fillets
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 leek, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups baby spinach
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons capers
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Arrange the bacon slices on the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake until the bacon begins to brown but is still soft, not crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool until it is easy to handle.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, on a clean work surface, season the fillets with salt and pepper. Wrap each fillet with 3 pieces of bacon, securing the ends to the fish with toothpicks or small skewers.
4. Add the fillets to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the bacon is noticeably brown and crisp, 9 to 12 minutes. Flip the fish once or twice while cooking.
5. Transfer the fish to a clean plate and tent with aluminum foil.
6. Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Add the spinach, lemon zest and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
8. Serve the bacon-wrapped cod over the spinach, garnished with capers.