Bacon Mac and Cheese
There are a million reasons to love mac and cheese. It’s creamy, buttery and straight-up soul-warming. Add crisp, salty bacon to the mix and you’ve got heaven in a bowl. This recipe for bacon mac and cheese also calls for fire-roasted tomatoes and peppery arugula, so we like to think of it as a fancy, pasta-fied BLT.
1 pound campanelle pasta
12 ounces bacon, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
One 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cups milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups arugula
1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the bacon into the skillet. Cook until golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Remove the bacon and add the onion. Cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the flour and cook about 2 minutes more. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and milk, then whisk until it comes to a simmer.
5. Add the cheddar cheese to the skillet and stir until melted.
6. Add the cooked bacon, pasta and arugula. Stir to coat them evenly in the sauce. Serve immediately.