Every once in a blue moon, you bust out your waffle iron to make a special breakfast. Well, folks, we’ve got a recipe that will have you using that trusty gadget a heck of a lot more often: quesadillas. This is one of those why-haven’t-we-tried-this-before methods that’s simple to execute but yields impressive results. Place a tortilla onto your waffle iron, add shredded cheese and then top with another tortilla. Close the waffle iron and in minutes you’ll have the most golden, melty, crispy-edged quesadilla you’ve ever seen.
8 tortillas (make sure they aren’t larger than your waffle iron)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 avocados, peeled and sliced, for serving
1 cup salsa verde, or more as needed, for serving
1. Plug in and preheat the waffle iron. Grease the interior with nonstick spray.
2. Place a tortilla on the waffle iron and mound ½ cup cheese in the center.
3. Place another tortilla on top and close the waffle iron to press the quesadilla. Cook until the quesadilla is golden and fully heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove the quesadilla from the waffle iron and repeat with the remaining tortillas and cheese. (If you’re making a larger batch, keep the quesadillas warm and toasty in a 200°F oven.)
5. Serve the quesadillas warm, topped with avocado slices and a few tablespoons of salsa verde.