Red Velvet Lava Cakes
You've mastered red velvet pancakes. You've aced red velvet whoopie pies. Now, this Valentine's Day, we present you with the ultimate dessert to add to your repertoire: red velvet molten lava cakes. These minis have a gooey chocolate center--and say "I love you" better than any box of chocolates ever could.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1½ ounces semisweet chocolate
½ cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for finishing
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons red food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two ramekins (or two cavities of a muffin pan) with nonstick spray.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cocoa powder and salt to combine.
3. In a medium-size heat-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in 15-second blasts in the microwave until smooth.
4. Stir in the confectioners' sugar until well combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and food coloring, and stir until well combined.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared ramekins. Bake until set at the edges but still soft in the center, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 3 to 5 minutes inside the pan, then unmold each cake onto a plate.
6. Serve warm, immediately, garnished with confectioners' sugar.
Note: This recipe makes two mini cakes. But you can easily double the ingredients to make four mini cakes.