Eggs Benedict. Eggs in a basket. Eggs over easy. We love these classic preparations of our favorite breakfast food. But right now, we’re all about huevos rancheros. The Tex-Mex dish is basically an open-faced taco, complete with all the fixings (and an egg, of course). Is there a better way to start your day? We think not.
3 tablespoons neutral oil, such as peanut or olive oil
4 corn tortillas
1 cup refried beans
¾ cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese
¼ cup taco sauce
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When it’s hot, add a tortilla to the pan and cook until lightly golden and crisp on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
2. Remove the tortilla from the skillet and drain on absorbent paper towels. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the remaining tortillas.
3. Carefully crack the eggs into the remaining oil. Fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still slightly jiggly, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Warm the beans in a heat-safe bowl in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Spread ¼ cup beans onto each tortilla. Top each with an egg.
5. On each plate, place two of the tortillas with beans and eggs. Top each with 3 tablespoons crumbled cheese, 1 tablespoon taco sauce and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Serve immediately.